WR400 in sand?

3 replies to this topic
  • ShawnattheBird

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:49 AM

My buddies and I just went to Attica, lots of sand,. Their two-strokes seemed to handle the sand hills better than me. They would ride in 2nd gear for traction. I could not always keep enough speed to stay in second, and in first I would spin way too easy. What should I be doing different, or are 2-smokes just better for poor traction conditions?

Thanks

• creeky

Posted March 21, 2006 - 07:23 AM

Your WR outweighs your buddies' 2 strokes by about 20-25 #, so you have a little more inertia to overcome. What tires are you running? Good sand tires and low pressure will help. Keep the front wheel light by moving your body weight rearward, this will help rear wheel traction too. Maintaining momentum is a must, keep it moving. I just got back from riding in FL for a week, I'm using a Cheng Shin C-760 rear and a Michelin S-12 front on my '00 WR400, worked pretty good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluebike1999

Posted March 21, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Your WR outweighs your buddies' 2 strokes by about 20-25 #, so you have a little more inertia to overcome. What tires are you running? Good sand tires and low pressure will help. Keep the front wheel light by moving your body weight rearward, this will help rear wheel traction too. Maintaining momentum is a must, keep it moving. I just got back from riding in FL for a week, I'm using a Cheng Shin C-760 rear and a Michelin S-12 front on my '00 WR400, worked pretty good.

exactly what creeky said.
i run a different rear tyre but the same front with as little pressure as safe, rear as low as 8-10 lb, but you still have to cane the bike to keep up with two strokes in the sand. i have found 2nd the best gear, but once you get up and going, keep it going as a fast as you are able. it sounds and feels hard on the bike, probably is. i had a paddle on recently and while you are on the throttle it was like it was on rails, let off the gas and i had to fight it a bit until you can get back on the gas.
weight back, gas on.
good luck

• timcook

Posted March 21, 2006 - 08:29 PM

As your experience in sand increases you'll find that 4 strokes pound 2 smokes into the sand......literally!!! The hard thing for you may be to understand that you can rev your bike to the moon. Don't be too shift happy and stay in a one gear as much as possible. 2nd and 3rd mostly. You have torque to take advantage of. This type of terrain is not easy. Body position is critical as well as your riding technique.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.