Change Hitting Tire

10 replies to this topic
  • boyonblue52

Posted March 21, 2006 - 05:27 AM

On my 450 i have the change adjusted to the 3 finger rule and well the chain if you push it to the side it will touch the tire and it does it while riding because you can see peices of the side knobbys are being touched :thumbsup: :confused: ...what do you think is wrong? :bonk: Someone told me that my chain could be worn out and that a new one would do the job..... :thumbsup:

• ESC

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:39 AM

Never heard of the three finger rule....except with women but that's another story.

I always measure mine...specs are 40-50mm.

• NYMXer

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:40 AM

Simple, your chain is worn beyond useable limits. When a chain moves side to side a lot, it's spent. Get a new quality chain (price is more w/ quality). If the sprockets look worn, replace it all at the same time. On a 450, an O ring chain would be a good choice.

• big t

Posted March 21, 2006 - 08:29 AM

The 3 finger rule may not work for everybody. Measure your fingers and see how close they are to what the chain slack should be.

• boyonblue52

Posted March 21, 2006 - 09:58 AM

Ok yeah i have heard many different like lengths and adjustments but i have a race this coming sunday and i have not enough money and time to order a good one. Do you think i should be ok to still ride?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • boyonblue52

Posted March 21, 2006 - 10:00 AM

Also my fingers with 3 together measure up to an inch and 3/4....and i think it says in the manaul t be around 2 inchs at max and so 50 is like 1.999 somthin so yeah i must be within tension standards so yeah it must be my chain.....THANKS A LOT GUYS. but again would i still be able to ride or?.?.?.? :thumbsup:

• 757holeshot

Posted March 21, 2006 - 01:25 PM

if it is a 2006 model if it is rippin knobs of your tyre it will be chewin it your alloy frame so its up to you wat u want to do (Ride or Not)it happin to mine albit stupid stocko chains dont think it matters that much ive replaced it with a U ring chain light but lasts well

• Ga426owner

Posted March 21, 2006 - 02:32 PM

Guys the "3 finger rule" works fine on yami's....just measure with a tape or ruler where you can find 1.9-2.3 inches - on the 3 fingers - this will be your setting range...(for me it is about 1.25inches from the tip of my middle finger towards my hand)works fine unless you have boney, skinny or fingers that are the same diameter from your hand to the fingertip...then you have even bigger issues. :thumbsup:

I hope you meant chain vs change...... :thumbsup:

• Milhaus

Posted March 21, 2006 - 04:57 PM

If you are eating knobbies off of your tire, I would say NO you aren't cool to ride this weekend. I mean if you do, you will just be adding to your possible repair bill!!

• boyonblue52

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:49 PM

yeah i got a new one from the guy who offered to sell me his...and mines a 2003 and its just the chain is pretty much shot....yeah i wasnt planning on going if it was all screwed up......thanks for the help

• boyonblue52

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:50 PM

yeah i got a new one from the guy who offered to sell me his...and mines a 2003 and its just the chain is pretty much shot....yeah i wasnt planning on going if it was all screwed up......thanks for the help!!!

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.