TT AIS vs GYTR AIS

19 replies to this topic
  • boer

Posted March 21, 2006 - 01:34 AM

I received my GYTR AIS kit today. As much as I hate to say this, I am very disappointed :thumbsup: If I knew then what I know now, I would have just gotten the TT kit :thumbsup: :bonk:

The plug components seem like 2nd grade quality. The best part seems to be the 48 pilot jet and shorter throttle stop.

I am considering buying the TT kit as it sounds like the better quality plugs and will be the cleanest/neatest setup. Can anyone tell me if all 3 plugs are aluminum or only the inlet and exhaust plugs. Furthermore what temperatures do you think one gets in the head around the exhaust port where the plug seats? Will normal high temp RTV (up to 600deg F) be sufficient?

• Moto5

Posted March 21, 2006 - 04:09 AM

As long as it works who cares what it looks like. You can barely see the plugs anyways. It's a dirt bike not a museum piece.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 21, 2006 - 11:58 AM

I think the TT kit is much nicer.. Plugs insead of caps... The caps look like a quick fix while the TT kit is clean and solid...

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 21, 2006 - 11:59 AM

As long as it works who cares what it looks like. You can barely see the plugs anyways. It's a dirt bike not a museum piece.

If I'm given a choice why would I not get the nicer, cleaner kit?

• odonnks

Posted March 21, 2006 - 05:39 PM

Get the TT kit.
Two machined aluminum plugs and a rubber cap for the airbox.
They fit VERY tight. The one over the Exhaust is a little tough to get in since its behind the frame and a straight shot with a punch is near impossible.
The exhaust plug even has a lip machined to keep the punch from slipping off.

• grappler

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:43 PM

My TT kit is on the way, well as soon as the ZipTy fuel screw is back in stock. :thumbsup: I looked at the GYT-R at the dealership but decided on the TT kit. :thumbsup:

• Moto5

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:46 PM

If I'm given a choice why would I not get the nicer, cleaner kit?

Actually no not really, I'm sure I could have machined a couple plugs in no time as nice or nicer than the ones in the TT Kit. It's just my opinion but I don't think it's a big deal as long as the ones that came in the Yamaha kit work as advertised. Maybe you guys know something I don't though.

• chubbyfat

Posted March 23, 2006 - 01:31 AM

Actually no not really, I'm sure I could have machined a couple plugs in no time as nice or nicer than the ones in the TT Kit. It's just my opinion but I don't think it's a big deal as long as the ones that came in the Yamaha kit work as advertised. Maybe you guys know something I don't though.

I think everyone wants the best quality for their dollar and that's what this guy is not happy about. A lot of junk works as advertised but doesn't mean it's the best buy.

I'm sure if he could machine his own nice aluminum plugs he would've done it instead of coming here and getting smart remarks from some pompous machining pro.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted March 23, 2006 - 05:14 PM

We've had a few people complain, not b/c of the quality of the kit, but b/c they assumed the kits where the same, feeling like they GYTR kit was a better value. However, we disagree. Why?

With the GYTR kit, you pay for a YZ throttle stop, but the stock WR stop can be removed and trimmed to length quickly and easily for free. So, no real value there.

The GYTR kit does give you one adjustable clip needle, but the needle doesn't hold a candle in terms of throttle response and range to the two needles included in the JD jetting kit.

Out kit is $33.95 (including shipping) and the GYTR kit is $40.00ish, NOT including shipping. In our professional opinion, the $13ish price different is better off applied to the purchase of a JD jetting kit, will two high-peformance needles with adjustable clips and 5-6 main jets, depending upon the kit. This will jet you from sea level to 12,000ft.

Check out the jetting forum and ask for yourself. TT AIS, JD Jetting Kit and ZipTyp Fuel Mixture Screw is by far the best set-up if you're looking for max throttle response & power from your dub-r...

• OneToGo

Posted March 24, 2006 - 02:37 AM

Take note:

Get the TT kit.
Two machined aluminum plugs and a rubber cap for the airbox.
They fit VERY tight. The one over the Exhaust is a little tough to get in since its behind the frame and a straight shot with a punch is near impossible.
The exhaust plug even has a lip machined to keep the punch from slipping off.

I resisted installing my TT AIS kit, but have to say it is VERY easy. Yep, you heard right and I have to wonder in hind sight waht all the "fuss" I have read was about :thumbsup:

The front exhaust plug is easy IF you take the Right rad and front fender OFF. Just a few gentle taps to get it in with a socket extension or whatever. The top will mark slightly. you can get to it if you loosen the rad but I did not want to slip and whole my rad :confused:

BTW, you'll be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to remove the AIS and how good you feel about junking the octopus crap.. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 24, 2006 - 08:46 AM

TT'r Mark Lowe aka "Lowedog" came out with the TT kits before Yamaha did. For months we really didn't have a choice of what kit to use. It's not like the TT kit is trying to be cleaner or better than the Yamaha kit, the TT kit came before the Yamaha kit. I believe you're thinking that the TT kit came after the Yamaha kit and TT is trying to cash in on an alternative design... I don't think Mark ever thought he was making beautiful art out of block off plugs... My personal opinion is that Yamaha didn't do a better job. Plus, I don't need another needle than the one I have and I've cut down my own throttle stop... To each his own I guess....

• roadstarminge

Posted March 24, 2006 - 09:11 AM

I ordered both kits and like buses they both arrived this week, I will fit one this weekend and the other I will offer for sale on here, I may be using the pilot jet only out of the GYTR kit.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted March 24, 2006 - 09:53 AM

TT'r Mark Lowe aka "Lowedog" came out with the TT kits before Yamaha did. For months we really didn't have a choice of what kit to use. It's not like the TT kit is trying to be cleaner or better than the Yamaha kit, the TT kit came before the Yamaha kit. I believe you're thinking that the TT kit came after the Yamaha kit and TT is trying to cash in on an alternative design... I don't think Mark ever thought he was making beautiful art out of block off plugs... My personal opinion is that Yamaha didn't do a better job. Plus, I don't need another needle than the one I have and I've cut down my own throttle stop... To each his own I guess....

I hear you Dan... I went through this with a customer. He said we needed to rename our kit b/c of his assumption it was the same as the GYTR kit. Well our kit was our FIRST, as you said. If anyone needs to rebrand their kits, it's Yamaha!

• Bryan Bosch

Posted March 24, 2006 - 09:55 AM

I ordered both kits and like buses they both arrived this week, I will fit one this weekend and the other I will offer for sale on here, I may be using the pilot jet only out of the GYTR kit.

At $40 bucks, that's a 'spensive jet if you don't use the rest of the kit... :thumbsup:

• alfa

Posted March 24, 2006 - 12:48 PM

You don't even notice the TT plugs. They come out clean. I used black high temp RTV sealant and have had no problems.

• Johnny34

Posted March 24, 2006 - 01:10 PM

The TT kit comes with a sticker!

'nuff said :thumbsup:

• Bamster

Posted March 24, 2006 - 04:14 PM

This thread is useless without pic's.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 24, 2006 - 04:29 PM

I hear you Dan... I went through this with a customer. He said we needed to rename our kit b/c of his assumption it was the same as the GYTR kit. Well our kit was our FIRST, as you said. If anyone needs to rebrand their kits, it's Yamaha!

:thumbsup:

• Moto5

Posted March 24, 2006 - 04:47 PM

Thanks Dan, I wasn't aware of that. I had to chuckle because both of the last two issues of Dirt Bike said there wasn't a AIS Removal kit available. Of course they are probably running four or five months behind.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 24, 2006 - 06:52 PM

Thanks Dan, I wasn't aware of that. I had to chuckle because both of the last two issues of Dirt Bike said there wasn't a AIS Removal kit available. Of course they are probably running four or five months behind.

:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.