Indy or others....comments on REKLUSE clutches

13 replies to this topic
  • timcook

Posted March 20, 2006 - 08:16 PM

I am looking for some input. The vast majority of my riding is done either in the Imperial Dunes or the Cinder hills of Flagstaff. All of which, obviously, done wearing a King Paddle. The idea of this clutch intrigues me. Does it improve even half of what it advertises? What is my long term and heavy use outlook like?

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 21, 2006 - 03:32 AM

The Rekluse product is marginal for big bore power. You need to use non synthetic diesel oil just to keep the clutch from burning up. Under heavy loads like sand there is no benefit to having the rekluse. In fact you are just taking a chance of burning up the clutch and oil and will have difficulty shifting at higher rpms. The Rekluse only shines on technical sections where rock climbs, mud and roots etc make it difficult to fan the clutch like a pro. The rekluse lets you tractor up stuff like it was child play. :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted March 21, 2006 - 05:38 AM

well that kinda depends on how you ride,if your up in the rpm's(above 4k) all the time a rekluse actually offers more clamping force on the clutch than the stock setup. especially if used with the tungsten balls. i will agree that if your just pokin' around in the sand you'll burn it up :thumbsup:

• clark4131

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:39 AM

Okay Rekluse gurus, I'd say 90% of my riding is woods and singletrack, but I do like to take the bike out to Sand Mountain from time to time. Will I need to worry about burning up my Rekluse with these occasional sand runs, or is it something that would likely occur only if I lived in the sand? Many thanks...SC

• simon@vic

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:55 AM

personally, i hate them in any situation.

I'm told that for the kind of riding o do it would "help". but every time i get on a bike with one, I'm off within 2 min. it just seems harder to jump big logs and do quick 180 degree wheelie turn in the single track.

• ETP

Posted March 21, 2006 - 07:22 AM

I just put a Rekluse clutch in my WR450 due to the positive feedback on this forum. Haven't had a chance to test it in the dirt yet.
How about creek crossings? Seems like thats another situation where an auto clutch might not be a benefit?

• ncmountainman

Posted March 21, 2006 - 10:05 AM

can't say much about dunes but i've ridden all day in some deep sand and noticed no problems,and never had any problems crossing creeks either. simon it takes some getting used to,but i can wing my 450 around like a mini bike with the rekluse,its all in the wrist :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted March 21, 2006 - 12:14 PM

I just put a Rekluse clutch in my WR450 due to the positive feedback on this forum. Haven't had a chance to test it in the dirt yet.
How about creek crossings? Seems like thats another situation where an auto clutch might not be a benefit?

As long as you installed a perch adjuster too you can pop the clutch just like you could before :thumbsup:

• ddialogue

Posted March 21, 2006 - 05:34 PM

Okay Rekluse gurus, I'd say 90% of my riding is woods and singletrack, but I do like to take the bike out to Sand Mountain from time to time. Will I need to worry about burning up my Rekluse with these occasional sand runs, or is it something that would likely occur only if I lived in the sand? Many thanks...SC

I've run mine at St. Anthony for a couple of three-day trips and never had a problem with it. I'm still running the stock plates! If I rode sand all the time, I wouldn't use the Rekluse but a few trips a year won't hurt it. Keep it up in the RPM's and don't overslip it and it will be fine.
:thumbsup:

• lipskid

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:58 PM

Sand is the one place I don't like the Rekluse. Doesn't like to shift in the lower gears when your gettin on it, unless you roll off the throttle hard. Might be different with a paddle. Perch adjuster would help if it works at high RPM. :thumbsup: The Rekluse shines in tight technical terrain, but I can't see how it could be of any benefit at the dunes or cinder hills. Just the opposite IMO.

• timcook

Posted March 21, 2006 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for the input guys. :thumbsup:
I am gathering quickly this may not be a wise choice for my WR. The dunes are tricky. One minute you're working tight technical stuff on your way to the big hills and the next you'll find yourself reving to the limiter surfing bowls and hills that may be hundreds of feet high.
Does anyone switch back and forth....Rekluse for tight and tech woods stuff and basket/factory style elsewhere??
Once again thanks,
Tim

• simon@vic

Posted March 22, 2006 - 12:10 AM

this is what you (and i) need!!!

Posted Image

http://tremx.com/ite...42&catalogId=65

• timcook

Posted March 22, 2006 - 06:16 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmm

• sirhk

Posted May 15, 2006 - 02:28 PM

This stupid clutch sounds like the miracle cure for riding around my house but the 20 or so trips I do a season to Glamis sound like it would kill it. DAMN!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.