98 YZ400F engine noise

3 replies to this topic
  • lucky614

Posted March 20, 2006 - 06:02 PM

I have a 98 Yz400f that I am having trouble with. I have noise coming from the left side of the motor believed to be the cam chain. I took the bike to a shop and they said (just by removing the valve cover and looking) that the timing chain was bad and that was causing the noise. I was then quoted approx. 200 to replace it. First is noise from the cam chain on this bike common? How can you tell if the chain is bad just by looking.....it appeared to be tight and showed little wear from what I could see? If the noise is not common how hard is the chain to change if I did it myself? The chain isn't that expensive but I wondered if it is best to just let them do it. Any ideas?

Thanks, Ken

• One Louder

Posted March 20, 2006 - 06:38 PM

How familiar are you with four strokes and are you good at using a manual to make your own repairs?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lucky614

Posted March 20, 2006 - 06:44 PM

I am not very farmiliar with the 4 strokes but can do just about anything with a book.

• DRH

Posted March 21, 2006 - 08:28 AM

Are you positive that all they did was look with no hands on checking? A simple tug on the chain by hand might have given them the knowledge they needed to come to the conclusion they did. The answer to your second question is if you have the Yamaha manual you can do it yourself. It does a good job of taking you through the steps. For me the hardest part was getting the timing marks aligned on the cams during installation, trial and error. I now know where to position the cams to get it right the next time I need to go that deep into the motor.

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.