2006 yamaha yz450f

34 replies to this topic
  • Troutman

Posted March 21, 2006 - 02:54 PM

A 168 or170 Main Jet @ 5500ft to 7500ft. Wouldn't that be crazy rich on the main?

• Ga426owner

Posted March 21, 2006 - 02:57 PM

A 168 or170 Main Jet @ 5500ft to 7500ft. Wouldn't that be crazy rich on the main?

maybe but I would at least try a 165 or 168 - pm Burned on this - he can help

• Troutman

Posted March 21, 2006 - 03:02 PM

I got the 162 info from Burned. But I could try throwing in the stock 165 to see what happens.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 21, 2006 - 03:14 PM

I got the 162 info from Burned. But I could try throwing in the stock 165 to see what happens.

I just reread you original post. - 162/165 should be about right for that altitude
what were the symptoms when completely stock 165mj/45pj?
too rich or too lean? Mine was too lean - I went to 48/170 combo
I did zip ty to - did you set this correctly? With the idle screw? Follow the starting point in the instructions - I believe 1.5 turns out, fine tune from there - double check this
Also:
1/4 turns are too much - try 1/8th turns - small increments make pretty big changes - especially at that altitude

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 22, 2006 - 07:36 AM

Considering the fact that the jetting sticky is pretty much already filled to the gills with folks singing praises for the 48/170 jetting combo, stating the same thing anywhere is going to be a bit redundant.

Possibly you could cut us some slack and just write this off as just ANOTHER jetting conversation. After all, it would be a full time job trying to tell people a threads topic is covered elsewhere (ie...engine oil, radiator guards, knee braces, best tires, best chain and sprockets...etc, etc).

&%$#@! is your major malfunction?

The sticky is for EVERYONES setup.

I love the advice for Troutman, who is at a higher altitude than most of you and everyone is telling him to keep the damned thing so rich. It's clear he needs to lean it out. Especially the PJ.

If I were troutman I'd try to lean out that PJ, play with the Needle height and possible look at the MJ when he gets it closer.

Seriously, Moochie, whats you problem? :thumbsup:

• copsey

Posted March 22, 2006 - 08:31 AM

Sounds like Troutman has an exhaust leak as his bike should be jetted on the rich to very rich side of the spectrum.

• Pbguy16

Posted March 22, 2006 - 08:38 AM

I live am having the same problem as with most with the popping. i live at sea level where the temps don't usually drop below 60 ish atleast when i am riding and in the summer time reaches 120. what combo would everyone suggest with the main and pilot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Troutman

Posted March 22, 2006 - 10:58 AM

The first place i looked was the exhaust and I have double checked the exhaust system and there are no leaks. As far as lean or rich jetting goes common sense would dictate to lean out the jets for a higher altitude but the popping would point to running to lean, then throw in that the bike supposedly came jetted very lean in the first place and you can see where it gets a little confusing. I wish i could find someone with the same bike at the same elevation with no popping and get his input.

• RoughR1der

Posted March 22, 2006 - 11:15 AM

I live am having the same problem as with most with the popping. i live at sea level where the temps don't usually drop below 60 ish atleast when i am riding and in the summer time reaches 120. what combo would everyone suggest with the main and pilot.

48/170 is what most ppl r running for that. maybe a needle adj. too, not sure...there's lots of threads/posts on this.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 22, 2006 - 11:53 AM

The first place i looked was the exhaust and I have double checked the exhaust system and there are no leaks. As far as lean or rich jetting goes common sense would dictate to lean out the jets for a higher altitude but the popping would point to running to lean, then throw in that the bike supposedly came jetted very lean in the first place and you can see where it gets a little confusing. I wish i could find someone with the same bike at the same elevation with no popping and get his input.

Troutman - post this question on the jetting forum - Ask for like jetting specs for your altitude - I am sure someone has been through the exhaustion of testing for ideal settings - on a 06 YZF

• moochie

Posted March 22, 2006 - 11:56 AM

&%$#@! is your major malfunction?

The sticky is for EVERYONES setup.

I love the advice for Troutman, who is at a higher altitude than most of you and everyone is telling him to keep the damned thing so rich. It's clear he needs to lean it out. Especially the PJ.

If I were troutman I'd try to lean out that PJ, play with the Needle height and possible look at the MJ when he gets it closer.

Seriously, Moochie, whats you problem?

What's MY problem? What an odd response? Did you happen to notice that you're the one playing moderator by telling people where and how to post.

Just because you happened to have started the jetting sticky doesnt mean you have to play gatekeeper on everyones postings that relate to a jetting issue. Lifes to short to get fired up over stuff like this...Lighten Up!

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 22, 2006 - 02:34 PM

What's MY problem? What an odd response? Did you happen to notice that you're the one playing moderator by telling people where and how to post.

Just because you happened to have started the jetting sticky doesnt mean you have to play gatekeeper on everyones postings that relate to a jetting issue. Lifes to short to get fired up over stuff like this...Lighten Up!

Are you a clown?

I merely suggested they would be helping other people by posting thier jetting specs. That's all I said. Should I have said Pretty please with sugar on top? :thumbsup:

It doesn't seem like anyone wants to help a brother out. These bikes can't possibly have the same jetting all over the country, even if they are in the same state of tune. And God forbid some of you tell a dude riding at 5500 feet to jet the bike in the same rich manner as a sea level rig? :thumbsup:

Look at the WR and other forums. They have much more data to work with than we do. Bikes in various levels of tune, various altitudes, temps, humidity and such. Luckily our bikes don't blow up valves much so we dont have the cool CRF sticky.

Where did I act all moderator? Show me.

It was just a helpful hint.

• moochie

Posted March 22, 2006 - 02:47 PM

You're quite the antagonistic fellow arent you? Telling people where to post...asking me "&%$#@! my problem is"...asking if I'm a "clown", it's becoming more clear who has the "problem" here.

First you take a crap in your own jetting sticky thread by hassling DJ over his less than benign comments. Then you come into this thread and tell people to post their info in your jetting sticky. Then you proceed to start another flame session in this thread. Settle down, take it easy.

• RoughR1der

Posted March 22, 2006 - 04:05 PM

&%$#@! is your major malfunction? .....Seriously, Moochie, whats you problem? :thumbsup:

Are you a clown?

I merely suggested they would be helping other people by posting thier jetting specs. That's all I said. Should I have said Pretty please with sugar on top?.....

I'm dont want to get into the middle of this, maybe you guys have past history or something. But that didnt sound like a "helpful hint" or that you "merely suggested" helping. Cut the guy some slack.

But to the point here. The KX forum has a sweet sticky FAQ with info and links . We should have something like that, including a nice list of jetting without a bunch of postes to sort through imo. If I get bored, I guess I could try to make something like it, or someone with more energy than me can go for it! :thumbsup:

• bryant40

Posted March 23, 2006 - 08:09 PM

I have a week old 06 yz450 that was suposedly rejetted at the dealership the day i bought it before it went off the showroom. I have been getting major popping during throttle closure. I'll check but I doubt there are any exhaust leaks. I am at sea level hot dry climate. Running to lean I think?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.