Glide Plate or Skid Plate

4 replies to this topic
  • yami racer

Posted March 20, 2006 - 08:44 AM

First off all the new GYTR gear is up on the Yamaha site including Skid Plate and Glide Plate. So I am sure local dealers can start to place orders.

Second, I am torn between the Glide Plate and the Skid Plate and which to get. Works Connection makes a great Glide Plate with coverage all the way to the back but no side protection and it looks like the GYTR glide and skid is a bit short. Anyway, I am going to be doing about 50/50 MX and woods riding and wonder if the glide plate is enough or should I go with the skip plate to get the full coverage. If I went with the glide and water pump gaurd is that sufficient protection while ripping through the woods and over rocks.

• Goosedog

Posted March 20, 2006 - 09:55 AM

This is the Devol I just put on my 426, I like it fine for covering the frame rails and I didn't want the snowshovel look. I had cased a watermellon sized rock coming off a waterbreak in the woods and dinged a frame rail pretty good, this should prevent that in the future I hope. Also I think the OEM waterpump guard is good enuf side protection too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted March 20, 2006 - 10:38 AM

MX glide plate
Woods - skid plate
The GYTR looks almost like the WC glide plate that - I have. Except the WC covers the entire rear frame -
I like the GYTR H2O pump cover and the rear master cylinder cover

• yami racer

Posted March 20, 2006 - 11:34 AM

David,

Did your WC Glide go on with no problems? I have heard that they do not fit right.

I am leaning glide plate with water pump cover but if i do get a skid plate what would you recommend?

• Ga426owner

Posted March 20, 2006 - 12:00 PM

David,

Did your WC Glide go on with no problems? I have heard that they do not fit right.

I am leaning glide plate with water pump cover but if i do get a skid plate what would you recommend?

Mine bolted right up with the stock hw ... no problems. Fit is fine.....same as the GYTR.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.