Mods For WR400 98" HELP

17 replies to this topic
  • hideto666

Posted March 20, 2006 - 06:38 AM

Hi guys , i need help in understanding my bike here . got a few questions i hope some experts here could help .
i see lotsa YZ parts available , but i wanna know whether which YZ parts actually able Fit on my WR400 98model .
I got the 03-05 YZ250f 450f Body kit on my bike.
FCR2 YZ426 carburetor on my bike.

i would like to know more parts of YZ tat are compatible with WR400 98model.
Example like Triple clamps . I wanna know whether clamps off YZ250f,426,450f wr 426 450 can be fitted in my wr. Same goes for Exhaust system , brake calipers , forks , rear shock , carburetors , radiators etc etc
And what are the MUST upgrade for the WR400 98

Guys i hope you can help me here. As im looking for parts to mod on my WR400 , mostly looking for online stuffs .
MANY THANKS !

• Tom_Rowlee

Posted March 20, 2006 - 11:24 AM

The first thing is do the FREE mods , take the lid off the air box , get a throttle stop from a yzf , cut the gray wire , if you do a search you can find all the information on the mods that you need . Not really really sure whats interchangeable . Love my 98 wr and all i have done is the free mods with a Pro Moto insert in the stock pipe to quiet the beast down (stock pipe has a spark arrester )

• HamBonE_23

Posted March 20, 2006 - 11:39 AM

When I purchased YZ parts for my WR I went to sites like BikeBandit. You can use these sites to verify that different years use the same frames and other parts. That will help you identify what parts should fit. Don't just use one website though, try 2 or 3 to help you verify your information.

• Dirt_rebel

Posted March 20, 2006 - 12:08 PM

i have a yz450f exhaust cam installed on my 98 wr400f. best mod for me so far. a yz426f exhaust muffler will fit nicely too.

• tcmII

Posted March 20, 2006 - 06:41 PM

You need to slow down and not go crazy all at once, there's plenty of time :thumbsup:

Seriously, start with the free mods. The free mods will give you huge performance increase for a little effort and no cost. Do one at a time and ride it in between:

Remove the air box cover.
Remove the carb (easiest way) remove the throttle stop and trim it so that the throttle slide opens all of the way.
Remove the stock exhaust baffle. I used the Yamaha GTY-R insert, better performance and still quiet enough to pass the test here in MI.
Remove the grey wire from the two pin connector under the tank on the right.
Also, make sure the carb is clean and, if you are using the '98 FCR1, make sure the accel pump bowl and diaphragm is clean and the rod is not corroded.

If that's not enough re-time the cam from WR to YZ timing.

If that still not enough there are tons of posts here and site available. Start with this site: ThumperFAQ. The site is for the WR250, but almost all of the same things apply to the WR 4s.

• hideto666

Posted March 20, 2006 - 08:08 PM

Thanks guys , the free mods have all been done before . :thumbsup: basically i feel thats the 1st few steps .
im using FCR2 of a 02 426 , runs extremely great , as my 98 FCR1 gave me lotsa problems on the slide .
And im using the GYTR oversize ti header and carbon fibre muffler , loud pipe , but improves performance.

now im more looking on to the 450 exhaust cam mod.

Any more mods to do ? especially to lighten the bike .

thanks lots guys ! appreciated !

• Birdy426

Posted March 20, 2006 - 08:39 PM

YZ seat and tank. You will be amazed! Next to the cam mod, the best money you will spend on the bike (oh, maybe suspension better, too...)

Most of the YZ400/426 chassis parts will work on your WR400, although the spring rates are different in the forks and shock. Swing arm (through '01, 02 requires some diddling around) suspension arm, linkage, triple clamps, etc are a direct swap, as are most motor parts (except tranny and ignition, but that's covered elsewhere), radiators, and plastic. Good luck and happy hunting on e-bay!

• spyder8850

Posted March 20, 2006 - 09:25 PM

Does it applies to WR400 Y2K model?

• hideto666

Posted March 20, 2006 - 10:19 PM

YZ seat and tank. You will be amazed! Next to the cam mod, the best money you will spend on the bike (oh, maybe suspension better, too...)

Most of the YZ400/426 chassis parts will work on your WR400, although the spring rates are different in the forks and shock. Swing arm (through '01, 02 requires some diddling around) suspension arm, linkage, triple clamps, etc are a direct swap, as are most motor parts (except tranny and ignition, but that's covered elsewhere), radiators, and plastic. Good luck and happy hunting on e-bay!

Yeah birdy , i got the YZ450F body kit on my ride .
Considering of changing the rear assembly though. so i could acutally fit 00 and up rear wheels.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hideto666

Posted March 20, 2006 - 10:21 PM

Any body know where to order YZ450F exhaust CAMs at CHEAPER PRICE ?

Did a search on Yamahaoftroy.com , costs 150USD less Shipping. :thumbsup:

• nimiz1

Posted March 20, 2006 - 11:11 PM

you can find the yz450f cam on ebay for about 105$ + shipping.

• hideto666

Posted March 21, 2006 - 01:56 AM

tried bro ... no luck at all . All are hot cams on sale .
any one could help ??

• nimiz1

Posted March 21, 2006 - 08:14 AM

try here
http://www.crotchroc...tion_detail.asp
the item number is 5TA-12180-00-00
IT IS 100$+SHIPPING.

• 1rkcooper

Posted March 21, 2006 - 05:59 PM

Call or email Harry at the TT store. I believe the 450 cam is just under $100.

• 1rkcooper

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:01 PM

Call or email Harry at the TT store. I believe the 450 cam is just under $100. Ask for what you are looking for even if it is not listed. They can get almost all parts.

• hideto666

Posted March 21, 2006 - 07:49 PM

Nimis !! thanks MAN !! great site ! hope theres no hidden charges . but really appreciate your help , not just for me . other wr4 riders can know through this post !
Buying oem from harry have to be a member , overall calculation , the one nimis given me is much cheaper .
Thanks guys , carry on discussing mods for wr4 !

• nimiz1

Posted March 22, 2006 - 11:23 AM

here this is from EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.com/...624288417QQrdZ1

• hideto666

Posted March 27, 2006 - 11:16 PM

alright guys , let keep this thread kickin.

as i know my 98 hub only fits into the 98 swingarm .

can i know what i have to change in order to use a 2000 hub ?
the cheapest way ..
Thanks guys

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.