02 YZ426 PLEASE help!!!

12 replies to this topic
  • bob426

Posted March 19, 2006 - 08:55 PM

Just bought a 02 YZ426. It will only start and run with the hot start knob pulled out. (even when starting cold, have to use hot start). It runs well with the knob out, but it will not run well or idle without the knob pulled. If I push it back in it runs very choppy, won't idle, and backfires a lot. What should I do?? Any help greatly appreciated!

• 01yz426

Posted March 19, 2006 - 09:01 PM

Adjust the idle on the beast... That should do her good....

• 01yz426

Posted March 19, 2006 - 09:02 PM

How much did ya pay for her if ya don't mind me asking?

• Raven1911

Posted March 19, 2006 - 09:16 PM

Adjust the idle. Then go to the jetting forum and it will tell you how to adjust the fuel screw on it. That should help. As far as I know the hot start lets more air in the mixture so your setting might be too rich. Look at your fuel screw underneath the carb. count the turns to turn it all the way in. Stock settings are 1.5 turns out. DO NOT ride the bike with the hot start out. You can do some damage.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 19, 2006 - 09:41 PM

If you've had the carb apart recently (or if the previous owner had it apart) make sure the metal plate in the carb slide isn't in upside down... it looks right when it's upside down and does exactly what you are describing.

• MisterMan

Posted March 19, 2006 - 10:12 PM

PROBLEM: ritch....

pull the plug....tell us what collor...is the choke on?? :thumbsup:

what fuel using??? fresh???

if all else fails, plop the bottem of the carb, buy a manual....adjust float to factory specs...and yes, try the jetting fourm.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz_for_me

Posted March 20, 2006 - 12:00 PM

Just bought a 02 YZ426. It will only start and run with the hot start knob pulled out. (even when starting cold, have to use hot start). It runs well with the knob out, but it will not run well or idle without the knob pulled. If I push it back in it runs very choppy, won't idle, and backfires a lot. What should I do?? Any help greatly appreciated!

I have the exact same symptoms ('01 426) you describe with one difference. I have to use the choke to keep it running at all instead of the hot start like you describe. I'm still troubleshooting the problem and I'll pass along any info I find. Any suggestions out there would be appreciated.

• DRH

Posted March 20, 2006 - 05:23 PM

I had the exact same problem, ran well with the choke out. I did everything imaginable. I tinkered until I was having nightmares. In the end, it turned out to be an exhaust leak at the header pipe where it met the muffler. I was sure it was tight as I wrenched on it. On a hunch, after another failed attempt at jetting, I unbolted the exhaust muffler from the frame mounts, and to my amazement, I was able to slide the muffler off without undoing the flange. This meant I had an exhaust leak. I installed a new gasket and problem was solved, though it did run rich until I put everything back to where I started from...Lesson learned? Start with the simplist and most basic cure for any problems. Spark, fuel and air leaks...If it isn't there then start digging..

• yz_for_me

Posted March 21, 2006 - 11:33 AM

I had the exact same problem, ran well with the choke out. I did everything imaginable. I tinkered until I was having nightmares. In the end, it turned out to be an exhaust leak at the header pipe where it met the muffler. I was sure it was tight as I wrenched on it. On a hunch, after another failed attempt at jetting, I unbolted the exhaust muffler from the frame mounts, and to my amazement, I was able to slide the muffler off without undoing the flange. This meant I had an exhaust leak. I installed a new gasket and problem was solved, though it did run rich until I put everything back to where I started from...Lesson learned? Start with the simplist and most basic cure for any problems. Spark, fuel and air leaks...If it isn't there then start digging..

That may be my problem. I noticed last time I put my exhaust back on it fit a little loose. It's a slip on WB R4 and the clamp is tight but maybe the gasket is damaged.

• DRH

Posted March 21, 2006 - 03:24 PM

Yea if you are like me, I was switching back and forth from spark arrester and closed course exhaust. Unfortunately those fiber type gasgets are not made for frequent changes. It was the best 15 dollar fix I have made, I only wished I made it earlier.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted March 21, 2006 - 03:33 PM

Pull the rag out from inside the air filter. Some of us have made that mistake :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• kid on a 426

Posted March 21, 2006 - 09:32 PM

Pull the rag out from inside the air filter. Some of us have made that mistake :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lol that happened to my friend once. He couldn't figure out what was wrong, he kicked until he was blue in the face and even tried to pull start it using a strap and a truck. Finally him and his bro just sat down and all of the sudden his bro says dude when we changed your air filter did we take out the rag? and then they just started laughing

• YZfreak426f

Posted September 16, 2009 - 05:49 AM

Check your timing to make sure it didn't jump a tooth, mine did and it caused it to idle badly and backfire like CrAzY, luckily i stopped right away and it didn't do any permanent damage so i just replaced the cam chain. it might not be the problem but timing isn't something you want to take lightly so i would check it out. good luck man :busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.