Converting YZ to wet sump.

5 replies to this topic
  • odonnks

Posted March 19, 2006 - 05:03 PM

I read in April 06 that to save additional weight, Yamaha of Troy converts all their race rides from dry sump to wet sump.

How are they doing this?
How much wight can be shaved off?
Can this be done to a WR and are there risks?

• baha

Posted March 19, 2006 - 05:09 PM

Ok they save the wieght of oil in the frame, how much hotter is the oil in the sump, I will stick to stock.

• 1BLUEsky

Posted March 19, 2006 - 05:17 PM

Its Hard To Argue With The Experts( Troy) But Regardless Of The Vehicle I Always Thought The Idea Of A Dry Sump Was To Reduce Oil Windage From The Crank Shaft Etc. And Increasing Power And Response.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoRick

Posted March 19, 2006 - 06:15 PM

Bad idea for anything but a full race bike that gets impeccable service. Here's the Whit Bros kit.
Pay particular attention to their own warnings about this conversion.

• odonnks

Posted March 19, 2006 - 06:34 PM

Yeah, your right.
The pro teams can afford the rebuilds if necessary. I was just curious.
It looks like they run the races on much less oil capacity.

• Yamaster

Posted March 20, 2006 - 04:01 PM

They dont just do it to save weight, they do it to lower the center of gravity by removing oil from high up on the frame.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.