Cam chain replacement on 04 450f

44 replies to this topic
  • Schpenxel

Posted June 08, 2011 - 10:17 AM

Gotcha, makes sense. My tensioner fell apart (or I broke it by not removing the cap bolt first, not sure which) so I haven't been able to see how the yz426 ones actually work. The whole thing literally fell apart when I pulled it out. Timing was still dead on when I pulled it apart though.. so it hadn't failed previously.

Ordered a new one obviously but hasn't came in yet.

• moosekak

Posted October 04, 2011 - 10:00 AM

Just in the process of installing new top end and timing chain in my 06 and am having troubles installing the chain back onto the cams. Any secrets? To install my exhaust cam i have to push my chain guide back to get it in place. With the exhaust cam in and the chain on, the guide is putting pressure on it pretty good, is this normal? looking down with my stator cover off it is sitting in the housing what looks to me being the right way. Any thoughts would surely be appreciated

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 04, 2011 - 10:17 AM

Just in the process of installing new top end and timing chain in my 06 and am having troubles installing the chain back onto the cams. Any secrets? To install my exhaust cam i have to push my chain guide back to get it in place. With the exhaust cam in and the chain on, the guide is putting pressure on it pretty good, is this normal?

The exhaust cam should clear the chain guide with cam and chain in place. A common mistake when assembling the head onto the cylinder is to push the guide out of position to the rear. There are two pegs on the side of the front guide that locate in corresponding notches in the cylinder, and it is easy to knock the guide out of place while dropping the head, especially while doing so with the engine in the frame.

I'm afraid you'll need to pull the head back off to correct this.

• moosekak

Posted October 04, 2011 - 11:14 AM

Awwww shucks! I had a feeling it shouldn't be like that, so i dissasemled it this morning and must've knocked it out of place again. Back to the garage for the third time is the charm...... hopefully:banghead:

• mover

Posted February 07, 2015 - 11:10 PM

Gray, this is an excellent write up. I know I'm a little late to this topic but I'm presently in the process of replacing the timing chain/valve adjustment on my 08 yz450  I've read

that some are having an issue with correct alignment of the timing marks. I found that by marking the chain and sprockets in three spots with a paint pen (one at the bottom of the

crank 6:00 and one just above the timing marks on each cam 9:00 and 3:00. After removing the chain I transferred these marks to the new chain. I found it easier to get all the

gears properly timed.  I'm astounded at all the great information on thumpertalk. Thanks for the help.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.