OEM decompression plug

How in the hell do you put this thing in?? I have the OEM but am thinking of getting the TT plug, but want to try the OEM one first since I have it. Any suggestions? Also, does anyone else make a good decompression plug? I might try and find one at my local shop but not sure what brand to ask for? Thanks

On the OEM plug, the concave faces the interior of the engine. If you've lost one, always check you breather tube for being pinched or blocked off.

If you're clever, you can fabricate a simple retainer that will bolt onto the tab that once held the decomp cable anchor to the head and hold the plug in place.

You can also use an 18mm expansion plug (aka "freeze plug"). That would push in concave face outward, of course.

Do I have to have a plug in there. Why can't I leave the decomp assembly in there and just unhook the cable??

If you do, be sure the return spring stays with it to keep it from contacting the lifter. You can also cut off the half round extension on the inboard end, cut the lever off, and use the stub of the shaft as a cheap version of the TT plug. That will eliminate the need to move it in order to reshim that lifter.