OEM decompression plug

8 replies to this topic
  • Raven1911

Posted March 19, 2006 - 09:17 AM

How in the hell do you put this thing in?? I have the OEM but am thinking of getting the TT plug, but want to try the OEM one first since I have it. Any suggestions? Also, does anyone else make a good decompression plug? I might try and find one at my local shop but not sure what brand to ask for? Thanks

• BergArabia

Posted March 19, 2006 - 09:33 AM

I bought the TT one and have had it sitting in my bag for a couple of months so I would like to have some advice on how to insert it also.. perhaps it is the same technique as for the oem one?

• Super G275

Posted March 19, 2006 - 10:07 AM

Follow this forum http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=352633. Grayracer513 is a great guy with lots of MX knowledge. He's posted pics!

• Raven1911

Posted March 19, 2006 - 12:15 PM

Follow this forum http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=352633. Grayracer513 is a great guy with lots of MX knowledge. He's posted pics!

Thanks, but does the concave side face into the cylinder or away from it??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 19, 2006 - 05:25 PM

On the OEM plug, the concave faces the interior of the engine. If you've lost one, always check you breather tube for being pinched or blocked off.

If you're clever, you can fabricate a simple retainer that will bolt onto the tab that once held the decomp cable anchor to the head and hold the plug in place.

You can also use an 18mm expansion plug (aka "freeze plug"). That would push in concave face outward, of course.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 19, 2006 - 05:46 PM

Just get the TT plug or similar, don't waste your time with the rubber one.

• Raven1911

Posted March 19, 2006 - 09:21 PM

Do I have to have a plug in there. Why can't I leave the decomp assembly in there and just unhook the cable??

• cowboyona426

Posted March 19, 2006 - 09:39 PM

You could do that, but the plug is much cleaner looking, and there is no chance of it interfering with anything. Just get the plug, you won't be sorry!

• grayracer513

Posted March 19, 2006 - 10:32 PM

Do I have to have a plug in there. Why can't I leave the decomp assembly in there and just unhook the cable??

If you do, be sure the return spring stays with it to keep it from contacting the lifter. You can also cut off the half round extension on the inboard end, cut the lever off, and use the stub of the shaft as a cheap version of the TT plug. That will eliminate the need to move it in order to reshim that lifter.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.