WARNING & Molybdenum Solution for XR650R Clutch Bushing

12 replies to this topic
  • SenorGG

Posted March 18, 2006 - 07:46 PM

All:

Last Summer I replaced my clutch bushing in a 2000 XR650R with the updated part and assembled it all with engine oil. Dealer told me not to worry about the "molybdenum solution" called out in the service manual. Last week the clutch blew up and I found that the clutch bushing (Honda calls this a "Guide, Clutch" Part # 22116-MBN-671) was seized to the clutch basket.

Now I am trying to find out how to make the "molybdenum solution" called out in the manual. The manual says it is a 1:1 mix of oil and molybdenum grease. Is this molybdenum grease the same as molybdenum disulfide grease? Having a really hard time finding any moly based greases at all.

Thanks

SenorGG

• frankstr

Posted March 18, 2006 - 09:43 PM

Try your local auto parts store, I know Valvoline makes a wheel brng. grease thats moly based and Sta Lube has a engine assembly lube that has moly in it and its mixed with a oil base............... :thumbsup:

• captb

Posted March 19, 2006 - 05:44 AM

Don't use anything that could clog the oil grooves, might get Moly cam installation lube.

• snaggleXR650

Posted March 19, 2006 - 05:46 AM

Hey,
Here is what I use. I get it from the Honda shop. I think this is *exactly* what the manual is referring to.

http://www.honda.ca/...ds/service5.htm

I don't recall if I used grease or just oil when I installed my updated clutch bushing in my '00 model. It's been 3 years since then and I've not had any problems. However, I purposefully try not to hold the clutch in while stopped for longer than a few seconds or so. I hear this is when it seizes. Sorry to hear about your misfortune with an updated bushing, first I've heard of an updated bushing going south.

• SDBSKI

Posted March 19, 2006 - 06:32 AM

On the 650L I used Coastal engine assembly lube and mixed it with just a little motor oil for the clutch bushing, cam and rockers where Honda calls out Moly and motor oil. It's claimed an antisieze that protects at initial startup and during break in.This stuff is almost clear, real gooey and tacky. These are technical terms. If you want real Moly it's black and usually sold with new cams and lifters and recommended only in areas that get splash lubed as to not clog oil galleys with grease.

• needsprayer

Posted March 19, 2006 - 06:35 AM

Just want to ask a question about this installation step. Doesn't this moly grease get washed away over time by the hot oil?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scot_douglas

Posted March 19, 2006 - 03:51 PM

Just want to ask a question about this installation step. Doesn't this moly grease get washed away over time by the hot oil?

The most important thing is to have a good lubricant that will stay in place until the engine oil gets there to do its job. This is only a concern on initial builds. :thumbsup:

• needsprayer

Posted March 19, 2006 - 05:52 PM

The most important thing is to have a good lubricant that will stay in place until the engine oil gets there to do its job. This is only a concern on initial builds. :thumbsup:

That's the way I see it too. A problem that shows up 8 months later is probably unrelated to not using the recommended grease.

I have an 01 model and did the upgrade without grease (oil only) years ago. Like snaggleXR650, I also don't idle with the clutch in more than is necessary.

• qadsan

Posted March 20, 2006 - 11:24 AM

If you can't get the specified moly grease, you can also use a good engine assy lube. Autozone sells a very good non-moly engine assembly lube in a red/white 2oz tube for just a couple bucks. It's heavily fortified with the AW (anti-wear) additive zinc, which bonds to metal surfaces and activates at lower temperatures / pressures. The zinc compound is ideal for metal to metal contact because it prevents scuffing and or seizing without forming corrosive acids like some EP (extreme pressure) additives and this is what you need for a cam when oil alone is not enough during the first startup. I've used this product for breaking in cams on cars and bikes with excellent results.

• bork

Posted March 20, 2006 - 01:32 PM

I'v ordered the moly from honda, for my swing arm . ( manual said to use a moly with (I think it was 60%) . I called many companys to find & no luck .Most greases have about 3% & I don't know about cam grease. Call Crane & maybe they can tell you . So I ordered 2 tubes from honda.

• snaggleXR650

Posted March 20, 2006 - 02:58 PM

You know, I've been using the Honda Moly 60 for sometime now. I also have some Loctite brand 'never seize' with Moly' in it. If somebody threw a blob of Honda Moly 60 and Loctite never seize in front of you, you would have a hard time telling them apart. Not that it matters to this subject, just thought I would mention it.

I use the Honda Moly almost everywhere, axles, chain adjuster bolts, swingarm/linkage bearings and bolts, headstock bearings etc... Good stuff, and the little tubes go a long way, buy a small grease gun to use the tubes in. Ride on!

• TooFast

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:47 AM

What year did Honda start installing the updated clutch bushing? I have a new leftover 2003 and was wondering which bushing I have. Thanks

• qadsan

Posted March 21, 2006 - 07:20 AM

What year did Honda start installing the updated clutch bushing? I have a new leftover 2003 and was wondering which bushing I have. Thanks

All 2002 and newer 650R's have the updated clutch bushing.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.