What you do to your '06 when it's raining too much to ride it...

44 replies to this topic
  • DirtCheapJohn

Posted March 20, 2006 - 09:11 PM

The frame and polish job look great. :thumbsup:

But what about that rear Knobby? :thumbsup:

• motobark

Posted March 20, 2006 - 10:38 PM

The frame and polish job look great. :thumbsup:

But what about that rear Knobby? :thumbsup:

That tire had TWO RIDES on it! I don't doubt the dyno numbers of almost 50hp at the rear wheel! Good thing I bought a bunch of 756's awhile back.

• RCannon

Posted March 21, 2006 - 03:17 PM

"""""""""""""After that I soaked it in acid to even out the finish, using a Scotchbright pad with the acid."""""""""""""""""""""""

Is this acid available to us normal folks? Is so, where? The only acid I can find is plumbers acid and the stuff they use to clean brick. Anything else sounds difficult to obtain.

How about spending a weekend over at my house? I know you would love it here.

• Yak

Posted March 21, 2006 - 03:22 PM

I dont want to open up a can 'o' worms here, but I have used Easy-Off oven cleaner to remove annodizing on R/C car parts before. Not sure if it contains the same ingredient as the acid you speak of.

• motobark

Posted March 21, 2006 - 03:41 PM

Wire wheel cleaner has a pretty strong acid in it, you can get it at any auto parts store. Get the stuff that says it's NOT for coated aluminum wheels. (If you use the wire wheel stuff on coated aluminum wheels it will turn the clear coat white or foggy.)

I have used oven cleaner before, it does take off certain kinds of anodizing. I've had success with it on wheels, but not on swingarms. My buddy says lye will take off anodizing, I've never tried it though. I'm sure the answer is on the web somewhere, I just never bothered looking. Do a google search on "removing anodizing from aluminum" and I'm sure you'll find plenty of answers.

• rasta

Posted March 21, 2006 - 03:58 PM

Awesome. But now you created a monstor, It will consume you!!!! :confused: :thumbsup: J/K I know I had a polished boat trailer once. I just couldnt stand to see a spot unpolished. It consumed me. :bonk: :thumbsup:

black and blue thumper is right. i have a 03 completly polished to a mirror shine and after every ride it takes about 45 minutes to reshine it back to mirror with mothers polish. especially were boots rub, but anyways your bike looks sick. all i used was some jasco everywere, then took out the roto zip to smooth it down,then polish it with some #3 grit and finish with mothers polish. wish i had a camera would post some pics

• reedMX450F

Posted March 21, 2006 - 07:05 PM

I'd like to know something, wouldnt removing the anodizing make the swingarm less strong?? my buddy was wondering that too.

• 2fastwhitey

Posted March 21, 2006 - 07:20 PM

That looks tight but how will you keep it from oxidizing? Did you think about clear coating it?
I was thinking about doing mine but I still like the look of a new powder coat job.

• odlaw19

Posted March 21, 2006 - 08:34 PM

Damn.... too much spare time!

• motobark

Posted March 31, 2006 - 05:43 PM

I'd like to know something, wouldnt removing the anodizing make the swingarm less strong?? my buddy was wondering that too.

Sorry, I kinda forgot about this thread.
I doubt removing the anodizing has much effect on the overall strength of the swingarm, I was more worried about the sanding though. You have to be very careful that you don't take off too much aluminum when you're sanding it smooth. I try to stay away from the welds and edges as much as possible. I've never had any problems with cracking or bending swingarms, I'm betting they're pretty strong assemblies.

That looks tight but how will you keep it from oxidizing? Did you think about clear coating it?

This type of aluminum alloy doesn't seem to oxidize, it stays polished pretty good even if you never go over it again. I had a Jaguar XJS years ago that I polished the wheels on, they oxidized and faded really fast. I also polished the wheels on my daughters Firebird and they've stayed looking great for years. I guess it's just the difference or quality of the particular alloy? I'm no metallurgist so don't ask me.
As for clear coating, it's really hard to get a clear coat that will stick to polished aluminum, and not look yellow. If everything is just right, it can be done, I haven't had much luck with it myself though. All it takes is one tiny little crack or opening in the clear coat and it'll get water under it and peel right off.

So did any of you guys polish out your bikes yet?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mmosquini

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:23 AM

I know someone alredy said it but that is amazing. But! you have a sickness, I think I have it too. :thumbsup:

• fastenuf4u

Posted April 12, 2006 - 09:30 AM

Sweet looking bikes!! What kind of stand do you have in that first picture? That would be perfect in the garage to work on the bike and move it around as you needed plus up and down to not hurt your back leaning over all the time.

• Vengeancemaster73

Posted April 12, 2006 - 04:29 PM

Ya man it looks sick!! Looks like you didnt take it apart though like kid on a 426 said.

• Butta

Posted April 12, 2006 - 06:59 PM

I guess if you have the time to kill and there's nothing else needing to be done (oil changes, bearings lubed, etc) then it's ok......I'm not one to have the time to devote to something so superficial. Looks nice....but does it make it faster? last longer? easier to ride? cost less money? cut down on maintenance?

Sorry, dirtbikes are made to be ridden and, well, be dirty.

:thumbsup:

• motobark

Posted April 17, 2006 - 05:38 PM

I guess if you have the time to kill and there's nothing else needing to be done (oil changes, bearings lubed, etc) then it's ok......I'm not one to have the time to devote to something so superficial. Looks nice....but does it make it faster? last longer? easier to ride? cost less money? cut down on maintenance?

Sorry, dirtbikes are made to be ridden and, well, be dirty.

Yes, dirtbikes are meant to be ridden, but the title of the post said it all, it was raining, nothing else needed to be done on my bike, and I'd rather be doing something than sitting in front of the TV.

Cost less money? Spending $11k on turning a dirtbike into a show bike is a little ridiculous, polishing mine didn’t cost a dime.
It really didn’t take that long either, I started it on a Sunday night, had it finished and ready to ride by the next Friday. And that’s not all day either, I do have a 40 hour/week job and other things I had to do that week. Like I said, it didn’t cost a dime, but I guarantee it will get me more money when I go to sell it. So actually it makes money! (I just sold my ’03 to the first person to see it, do you think the polished swingarm and the fact the bike looked perfect had anything to do with that?)

Does it make it faster? Maybe, I did sand off a few grams of aluminum so I’m sure it’s way faster. Plus it’s more aerodynamic since the frame is all smooth and slippery instead of bumpy.

Last longer? Cut down on maintenance? A clean, well-kept bike will definitely last longer. Not sure if it’ll cut down on maintenance but it will make it easier to work on. I wash my bike after every ride, and look over every inch to make sure there’s nothing loose or broken. I don’t trail ride my bikes, I need to make sure it’s in perfect working order or else it’s a safety issue for me. I can’t afford to get hurt, and I’d be really pissed if it were because of something like a loose bolt or improper maintenance. I saw a post here recently about an Ironman sprocket failure, perfect example, that was because of improper (or lack of) maintenance. I can’t imagine what would happen if I broke a sprocket while launching off a 90 foot jump, it could literally kill me.

I know I took this off in a direction you didn’t really mean or imply, I understand you were mainly talking about wasting time just making the bike look better. My point is yes, I do like my bikes to look good, but there are some advantages that come out of keeping it looking good. And there is a limit to how much I’d spend on making a bike look good, like I said, the polish job was free. And don’t worry, my bikes get ridden. And when I’m riding I don’t think twice about how dirty it’s getting, I agree, dirtbikes are meant to get dirty. It's kinda like washing your car though, doesn't it run better after you wash it? Ok, maybe not.

Fastenuf4u, here’s the info on the stand, one of the best dirtbike products I’ve ever bought.

http://teamhawgracin.../html/ezup.html

I would say, “I should have bought one of these years ago”, but they didn’t make them years ago. They’ve had the lifts for a while, but just recently put wheels on them. I made my own roll-around stand years ago, but it didn’t go up and down like these do. If you can afford one, buy it, you’ll wonder how you got along without one.

• motobark

Posted April 17, 2006 - 08:38 PM

Hey Wes, I was wondering if you were going to see that $11k comment. :thumbsup: Sorry, I should have left that out. It's cool, your bike does look really good. And there is a lot to be said for spending the money and not the time.

It's like you said, I'm busy constantly too, I have 2 teenage kids and something's always going on. Sometimes I just go out to my shop at night just to have some quiet time to myself, it's better therapy than drinking! When somebody says I have too much time on my hands they're wacked! It's just that I like to stay busy, I don't do a whole lot of sitting around. As I'm typing this I'm also printing out, matting and framing a couple pictures that I have to have done for tomorrow. I still have an ASE test I have to take online tonight, clean up the dinner dishes and I'm sure the wife or kids will need me for something. Tomorrow is go to work and fix everyone elses problems, visit an Aunt that has a matter of hours left to live, deliver the framed prints, go home and figure out what to feed the kids since my wife won't be home until late, then pack for a 4 day trip. It never ends. I guess that's a good thing because if it did end that would mean I was dead!
Life is good.

Oh and by the way, if you have the money, enjoy it! My parents are loaded and they're taking it all to their grave. Hardly ever spend a dime, more importantly, never helped out any of the children or grandchildren when they needed it. We're not rich, but I try to enjoy what we have and share it whenever I can afford to. Don't feel bad about spending the money on your bike, just ask your wife, would you rather I spent it on women or booze? My wife (of 22 years) is awesome, she realized a long time ago I was a "Toy-aholic". I spend a lot of money on toys, but I almost never spend budget money on toys, it's always bonus, overtime or money I make on the side. She's happy, I'm happy, and the therapist gets nothing!

• Butta

Posted April 18, 2006 - 06:26 AM

Oh and by the way, if you have the money, enjoy it! My parents are loaded and they're taking it all to their grave. Hardly ever spend a dime, more importantly, never helped out any of the children or grandchildren when they needed it. We're not rich, but I try to enjoy what we have and share it whenever I can afford to. Don't feel bad about spending the money on your bike, just ask your wife, would you rather I spent it on women or booze? My wife (of 22 years) is awesome, she realized a long time ago I was a "Toy-aholic". I spend a lot of money on toys, but I almost never spend budget money on toys, it's always bonus, overtime or money I make on the side. She's happy, I'm happy, and the therapist gets nothing!

I couldn't agree with you more on this!! I too have a supportive family...the best things in life, that's for sure.

Like they say, you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a shrink's office....unless it's his.

• eazrider

Posted April 18, 2006 - 06:35 AM

To each his own...nothing looks better than a factory stock automobile, ('69 Boss 302, no custom paint please) or that beautiful cast aluminum frame...I like the way the factory presents the package. Just my .02 worth....

• mxrayser

Posted April 19, 2006 - 11:54 PM

Re: What you do to your '06 when it's raining too much to ride it...

I dont know, it never rains too much to ride, the more the muddier!!

• ImpulsePainter

Posted February 26, 2007 - 04:59 PM

I like it!!! I got this butt ugly blue paint on my frame (yz 250f '02) that is partly scraped so its shiny in some areas and blue in others.... :applause: Is there a cheap way to put some blue back on those areas? (oh crap this is the 450 not 250 area :applause: )

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.