87 XR600 top end noise

3 replies to this topic
  • alblast

Posted March 18, 2006 - 04:57 PM

Hello, I'am new to this forum and by reading some of the questions and answers here I know I could possibly find some help. I recently bought a 87 XR600 in good condition. The guy I bought it from said the top end was a little noisey. The bike starts good and run pretty strong. I checked the valve clearence and they are right on according to my Honda manual. What else could be making this noise? It doesnt sound like a piston, I had it at my local shop and they did'nt help much. They thought it was coming from the intake side. Other than this noise the bike runs good. Any ideas? Thanks!

• creeky

Posted March 18, 2006 - 08:19 PM

Might be the cam chain.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted March 20, 2006 - 09:46 PM

It's not so much the cam chain that goes bad, it's the tensioner. The chain gets slack and starts slapping around. Mine was making all kind of noise before I replaced it. I did the chain too just to be safe. Best deals from ServiceHonda.

• jungle biker

Posted March 21, 2006 - 02:36 PM

I agree with the camchain tensioner diagnosis. I would replace the chain and both guides. My guess is that the tensioner spring should still be fine, I have never seen one worn out, but the guides do wear out and do get noisy.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.