Could it be timing chain slap or rocks in the crankcase ???

13 replies to this topic
  • odonnks

Posted March 18, 2006 - 03:19 PM

I remember seeing a post somewhere about this.

On my 06 WR450F 80 or so miles. When I'm lugging the engine, especially on a tight incline or putting along in too high a gear, if i give it a little throtle it sounds like thre are rocks in the crankcase.
Its not enough load on the engine to be detonation. Once the engine spools up it quits.
Is this timing chain slap?
If so, is it anything to worry about?

Thanks

• dl19

Posted March 18, 2006 - 04:08 PM

I heard the same thing on my 05. It is actually drive chain slap on mine. Ride it with out a helmet, and you can easily hear and notice where it is coming from.

• odonnks

Posted March 18, 2006 - 04:11 PM

I'll try tomorrow w/o helmet

Thanks

• andy666

Posted March 18, 2006 - 07:53 PM

My 06 sounds the same i just put 50 mils on it today with a total milage now of 128 miles on it without a problem Theses engines are noisy.The noise seems even louder with the IMS tank on it .

• Kepy

Posted March 19, 2006 - 06:19 AM

I remember seeing a post somewhere about this.

On my 06 WR450F 80 or so miles. When I'm lugging the engine, especially on a tight incline or putting along in too high a gear, if i give it a little throtle it sounds like thre are rocks in the crankcase.
Its not enough load on the engine to be detonation. Once the engine spools up it quits.
Is this timing chain slap?
If so, is it anything to worry about?

Thanks

It's a drive chain matter in my opinion. I put a silicone under my chain slide to get it more muffled...it worked great to me. Use a silicone from the cartouche and the appropriate cartouche gun :thumbsup:

• odonnks

Posted March 19, 2006 - 05:14 PM

I think Kepy was correct.
I rode today and paid close attention to the noise when lugging it along.
Sounds like its coming from the drive chain.

Thanks

• Dodjy

Posted March 19, 2006 - 05:32 PM

It'll be the drive chain. The manual settings are too loose. I had the ame problem and started a thread a while back. Most advised to either tighten the chain or the silicon trick. I use 45mm from the middle of the chain to the top of the bolt. This fixed the problem on my 05 and I've never had a problem since.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • odonnks

Posted March 19, 2006 - 06:37 PM

I'm not sure what the silicone trick is.
Can someone explane?

• Bamster

Posted March 20, 2006 - 05:50 AM

odonnks

Put a bead of silicone under the top section of this

Posted Image

Between it and the swing arm.

It'll be the drive chain. The manual settings are too loose. I had the ame problem and started a thread a while back. Most advised to either tighten the chain or the silicon trick. I use 45mm from the middle of the chain to the top of the bolt. This fixed the problem on my 05 and I've never had a problem since.

I would be careful not to tighten the chain too much as this could put too much stress on the the counter shaft when the suspension compresses

• odonnks

Posted March 20, 2006 - 08:52 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a try !

• Bosco83

Posted March 20, 2006 - 12:27 PM

I also notice that the plastic radiator guards make a lot of rattle and it's really annoying. But man I love this bike this is my 4th ride and I'm so glad I chose te 450 over the 250.

Brian

• MountainMax

Posted May 13, 2006 - 04:02 PM

Can someone post a larger pic on where to put the silicone to quiet this noise?

• odonnks

Posted May 13, 2006 - 06:24 PM

Look at the chain slider on top of the swingarm. Its held to the swingarm with screws.
Remove the screws and put the silicone under the area beneath the slider.
The slider is not tight against the swing arm and when the chain hits it, it transfers the noise to the swing arm.
You should use a oil resistant silicone.

• MountainMax

Posted May 13, 2006 - 06:51 PM

ok, i just went out to my bike and checked it out, i got ta now. Will try mine soon.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.