Warning for kickstarter disassembly '06 WR 450

12 replies to this topic
  • Kepy

Posted March 18, 2006 - 09:34 AM

...I want to grease it properly before the first ride, and recognized that there is a iron ball (like a bearing ball) which was fallen down after I took the kickstarter up...unfortunately when I was searching over the owners manual where the iron ball belongs to there was no expanation/drawing for this. I think the Japanesse just forgotten to add this drawing to the manual :thumbsup:

• catmanz440

Posted March 18, 2006 - 11:44 AM

out of curiosity, why would you want to grease your kickstarter before the first ride? The shaft is lubricated by engine oil. Also, the only large iron ball that I know of is from the clutch actuator shaft. It runs transversly through the engine and sits at the end of the shaft.

• Kepy

Posted March 18, 2006 - 12:02 PM

out of curiosity, why would you want to grease your kickstarter before the first ride? The shaft is lubricated by engine oil. Also, the only large iron ball that I know of is from the clutch actuator shaft. It runs transversly through the engine and sits at the end of the shaft.

man... I meant kickstarter greasing from outside of the engine and not from the shaft side...sorry for not been accurate.

• Kepy

Posted March 19, 2006 - 06:45 AM

man... I meant kickstarter greasing from outside of the engine and not from the shaft side...sorry for not been accurate.

finally I got it. This iron ball belongs to the kickstarter for sure. If you disassemle it there is a hole with a spring on kickstarter laft hand side (left hand side means the position when the kickstarter lain back to the engine). I'm only quite angry now that there is no drawing/explanation for this in the owners manual.
What I've realized too is that the kickstarter o-ring is very loose. I replaced it with a tighter one.

• TWILES

Posted March 20, 2006 - 08:30 AM

All kick starters have that ball. Its what clicks when you put the lever back in place. Aluminum kick start assembly's don't usually lock up like steal ones. Don't feel bad, I dropped one too but I found mine. They're not much bigger than a BB.

• kd5qoq

Posted March 20, 2006 - 12:28 PM

Measure the hole in the shaft that the ball goes in and you can find a replacement at McMaster-Carr (sorry don't have the link handy do a search).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kd5qoq

Posted March 20, 2006 - 12:30 PM

Yes I do! http://www.mcmaster.com/ just do a search for ball and it will spit out any material you want it in oh yeah and size including metric.

• Kepy

Posted March 20, 2006 - 12:38 PM

Yes I do! http://www.mcmaster.com/ just do a search for ball and it will spit out any material you want it in oh yeah and size including metric.

They have a really huge selection of all the stuff the big boys likes :thumbsup:

• The Blue Trail Rider

Posted March 20, 2006 - 02:51 PM

Hey Kepy, what are you doing kick starting that bike anyways? I have never kick started mine since I got it in November '05! That's what that grey button on your handle bars is for. :thumbsup:

• kd5qoq

Posted March 20, 2006 - 04:52 PM

They have a really huge selection of all the stuff the big boys likes :thumbsup:

Is this guy F$ckin' with me!?!? I'm tryin' to help!

• Kepy

Posted March 21, 2006 - 10:30 AM

Is this guy F$ckin' with me!?!? I'm tryin' to help!

I think you understood me wrong. I was just amazed about the choice they offer...nothing more.

• Kepy

Posted March 21, 2006 - 10:35 AM

Hey Kepy, what are you doing kick starting that bike anyways? I have never kick started mine since I got it in November '05! That's what that grey button on your handle bars is for. :thumbsup:

You know... I've been ridden '99 WR 400 for 6 years, so it'll take time to get convinced to the gray button.

• kd5qoq

Posted March 21, 2006 - 12:35 PM

Cool, glad I could help.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.