Looking for an oversize fuel tank

6 replies to this topic
  • MaxAZ

Posted March 17, 2006 - 05:50 PM

I've got a 99 YZ400 that I need an oversize fuel tank for this summer when I take a trip to Colorado. It looks like the IMS tank holds the fuel lower whereas the Clarke tank simply humps up in front of the seat. Anyone have any experience with either of these units. I'd also prefer something in the 2.8 gallon range rather than the 3.3 those units go at. If there's something better out there, I'd like to know.

• targetdrone

Posted March 17, 2006 - 06:53 PM

I have the Acerbis 3.3 gal. It covers the hot start and choke, uses dual petcocks (bad) but gives me a reserve(good). Also, the kickstart lever rests against the tank very tightly.

• kid on a 426

Posted March 17, 2006 - 07:26 PM

you could just get a wr tank and seat

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 17, 2006 - 11:08 PM

I had a Clarke on my WR and loved it. I am going to get one for my YZ. Fit and finish was perfect, customer service is great too. My last one was $170.00 :thumbsup:

• RedRider250X

Posted March 17, 2006 - 11:43 PM

http://scottsperform...e=6&Bike=Yamaha

• Gradthyzf

Posted March 17, 2006 - 11:47 PM

I have the Acerbis 3.3 gal. It covers the hot start and choke, uses dual petcocks (bad) but gives me a reserve(good). Also, the kickstart lever rests against the tank very tightly.

Wow, sounds like a pain in the ass. Is a reserve worth that kinda trouble?

Do all after market tanks cover the choke and hot start?

• targetdrone

Posted March 19, 2006 - 08:10 PM

Wow, sounds like a pain in the ass. Is a reserve worth that kinda trouble?

Do all after market tanks cover the choke and hot start?

The reserve is worth it to me. My bike is plated so it gets ridden on the street as well as out in the desert. I am going to get a hot start kit that makes hot starts a 'thumb lever-on-the-bars' simple operation.

The tank looks great and doesn't modify my riding position. Check out my garage.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.