Converting overflow tank to spare fuel cell

6 replies to this topic
  • wayneoXCF

Posted October 03, 2001 - 01:55 AM

I tried a search on this, but am coming up short. I want to comvert my overflow cell to a spare fuel source. The bike only overheated (slightly) once when I left it running in the garage. Since then, its never overheated once, and Id like to make use out of the cell. Is it just a case of plugging up the bottom, and re-routing the overflow hose? Thanks for the help.

• armourbl

Posted October 04, 2001 - 01:47 PM

I've brought this question up before and some say it can be done, but warn about the overheating thing.

From what I understand you have to get a different radiator cap with a higher boiler over point.

Also, the overflow isn't really in a position to gravity feed to the fuel line well. So the one guy I know that did it, ends up having to unbolt the overflow to pour the gas into his gas tank. I haven't tested this myself, and hope to find a way to just insert a T into the fuel line and have it feed via gravity.

Also, you'll need to buy some fuel rated hose. The current hoses aren't designed to carry fuel.

There is also a product on the market that I think Baja offers for carrying extra fuel. It is a fuel cell number plate. I thinkn it holds about 1/4 quart of fuel, maybe more and mounts in place of your number plate. Personally I like the idea, and may go this route instead.

ben

------------------
2001 WR250F
White Brothers E Series Full exhaust
Panoram computer
Tap Bars
jet kit
YZ timing
Grey wire mod
Pro Rally hand guards
YZ plastic

• ButtonFly

Posted October 06, 2001 - 06:01 AM

FOr those of you willing to spend the green, baja designs has a side panel tank available. Might call up and ask some questions, just to find out how it is done...
They also offer a front aux fuel tank in the form of a number plate...
http://www.bajadesig...ry_Code=Yamaha1
http://www.bajadesig...ategory_Code=14

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • armourbl

Posted October 06, 2001 - 03:59 PM

The side plate thing is very cool, but got bad reviews here in the past.

I think the number plate one would be nice, except it is going to put the weight at the bikes highest point.

I guess the only real answer is a bigger tank or just drive limited distances.

ben

------------------
2001 WR250F
White Brothers E Series Full exhaust
Panoram computer
Tap Bars
jet kit
YZ timing
Grey wire mod
Pro Rally hand guards
YZ plastic

• wayneoXCF

Posted October 06, 2001 - 05:08 PM

I dont mind having to take the cell off and filling the tank manually. I know I can always use wing nuts or something to hold it on. Theres plenty of ways to keep it attached, that can get you easy access to it. Will anything be affected if it were just plugged, or sealed?

• darbsitton

Posted October 07, 2001 - 03:00 AM

A WR tank is about 3.3 gallons I think. Suspect the radiator reservoir is less than 0.3 gallons. How much time/money are you willing to spend to go 10% further?

• The_Missile

Posted October 07, 2001 - 10:25 AM

darbsitton.... to your question I answer : a lot ! as I am STUPID and turn my fuel lever to reserve about 50% of the time on a full tank. A safety margin would be good for me!!! Fortunately I have a guardian angel as so far I have been positioned at the top of a long hill straight to a gas station when I run out.

I think you need a honda pressure relief radiator 'cap' if you do 'convert'. There are a number of threads here on what to do..

------------------
The Missile
'99 WR400F
Airbox Lid - gone
Throttle Stop - shorty!
Plastics/Tank/Seat - One Industries
Street Legal

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.