For 50 state XR650L owners only

13 replies to this topic
  • SanJoseWR450F

Posted March 17, 2006 - 01:45 PM

Anyone with a 50 state (California smog legal) XR650L willing to take a digital photo of the Honda plate stating that it's CA smog legal? I need a photo of one, doesn't have to be perfect. Thanks.

• ewbish

Posted March 17, 2006 - 02:05 PM

Odd request, would you mind sharing the details? Since the 650L was sold new w/ a plate, you shouldn't be having any problems licensing it.

Also, the owner's manual has a blurb about the emissions on it. If you don't have one, should be easy for somebody to copy it for you, even your local dealer.

• adam574

Posted March 17, 2006 - 06:28 PM

i would be willing to bet he is going to make his own.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 17, 2006 - 08:02 PM

i would be willing to bet he is going to make his own.

ya could easily fake one up.....

• LotsOfBikes

Posted March 17, 2006 - 10:23 PM

I removed my emissions equipment shortly after purchase in 1996.

Was the "Plate" located one of the emissions parts, or was it a sticker on the inside of one of the side covers? I ask because I still have all of the parts in a box. ...somewhere in the garage.

• SanJoseWR450F

Posted March 18, 2006 - 02:54 AM

I removed my emissions equipment shortly after purchase in 1996.

Was the "Plate" located one of the emissions parts, or was it a sticker on the inside of one of the side covers? I ask because I still have all of the parts in a box. ...somewhere in the garage.

I believe it should be on the headtube behind the headlight. I'll be honest, it's a "don't ask, don't tell" sort of thing. Let's assume someone with a XR600 went to DMV and it had a CARB sticker on it. You never know what might happen... :thumbsup:

Some may judge me, but frankly living in a greenie state that is so hypocritical, one has to do what one has to do. Like an XR600 is EVER going to put out greater pollutants than any car. Hybrids included.

Take care and if anyone is willing to help out with a photo I'd be much appreciative. You could PM me for my email if you prefer not to share anything here.

• pigryder

Posted March 18, 2006 - 06:39 AM

Dude I'll have to take a look when I get home and check it out :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted March 18, 2006 - 09:17 AM

Anyone with a 50 state (California smog legal) XR650L willing to take a digital photo of the Honda plate stating that it's CA smog legal? I need a photo of one, doesn't have to be perfect. Thanks.

I bought mine in Texas, and it is an '06.

Would mine work? What/where is the plate? (Some say headtube...I'll look at mine today)

Will you send me an In-n-Out Burger T-Shirt? ( :thumbsup: ...just kidding :thumbsup: )

• SanJoseWR450F

Posted March 19, 2006 - 01:08 PM

The sticker should say something like "This vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA and California regulations... yadda, yadda, yadda. It should be readliy visible. My local dealer didn't have an XR650L for me to look at. If someone would be willing to tell me EXACTLY (every single word on the sticker, including anything Honda related) what it says, that would be fine. Thanks again all.

Phuzz, send me a reproducible photo (and I succeed in gettin' a plate :thumbsup: ) and sure, I'll give you an In-N-Out t-shirt. Because, they, are what a Burger's all about! Funny story, before In-N-Out moved into the Northewrn California area, I used to have a friend who would go to LA to see his parents, bring me home a wrapped In-N-Out burger so that I could add new crisp veggies to it and reheat it. Yeah, pretty pathetic, but oh so good....

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 19, 2006 - 06:54 PM

I believe it should be on the headtube behind the headlight. I'll be honest, it's a "don't ask, don't tell" sort of thing. Let's assume someone with a XR600 went to DMV and it had a CARB sticker on it. You never know what might happen... :thumbsup:

Some may judge me, but frankly living in a greenie state that is so hypocritical, one has to do what one has to do. Like an XR600 is EVER going to put out greater pollutants than any car. Hybrids included.

Take care and if anyone is willing to help out with a photo I'd be much appreciative. You could PM me for my email if you prefer not to share anything here.

I dunno, some of them hybrids get 150+mpg.....id like to see any XR engine push any sort of machine (bike or otherwise) that can carry a person at 150mpg. But I do understand what your preaching. Ill tear my headlight off tomorrow, what exactly does said sticker look like?

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted March 19, 2006 - 08:17 PM

The sticker should say something like "This vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA and California regulations... yadda, yadda, yadda. It should be readliy visible. My local dealer didn't have an XR650L for me to look at. If someone would be willing to tell me EXACTLY (every single word on the sticker, including anything Honda related) what it says, that would be fine. Thanks again all.

Phuzz, send me a reproducible photo (and I succeed in gettin' a plate :thumbsup: ) and sure, I'll give you an In-N-Out t-shirt. Because, they, are what a Burger's all about! Funny story, before In-N-Out moved into the Northewrn California area, I used to have a friend who would go to LA to see his parents, bring me home a wrapped In-N-Out burger so that I could add new crisp veggies to it and reheat it. Yeah, pretty pathetic, but oh so good....

I just looked at my sticker (the one on the headtube, directly behind the headlight) and it lists the GVWR/GAWR specs, tire specs, and a statement about complying with all federal motor vehicle safety standards as of the date of manufacture, the VIN and year, but no metion of emissions compliance.

I'll keep trying. I recall seeing some spec stickers on the backside of the sideplate.

I hear you about the "so pathetic, but so good". Sometimes that's _exactly_ what we need. :thumbsup:

• SanJoseWR450F

Posted March 19, 2006 - 11:19 PM

I just looked at my sticker (the one on the headtube, directly behind the headlight) and it lists the GVWR/GAWR specs, tire specs, and a statement about complying with all federal motor vehicle safety standards as of the date of manufacture, the VIN and year, but no metion of emissions compliance.

Hmmmmm, the plot thickens....

wr450fyamaha, I haven't heard of any production hybrid getting an average of 150mpg. That's news to me. Typically they get 45-60 mpg. But, I'm talking about gross pollutants here (which is the issue of why dirtbikes can't get dualsported here) not about mpg.

• dukeryder

Posted March 20, 2006 - 01:07 AM

I think It's on the inside of the Number plate that covers the airbox.

You could just take the L one and put it on the 600R!

• SanJoseWR450F

Posted March 21, 2006 - 09:36 PM

Got my bike plated today. They never looked at it and I didn't have any kind of decal. So non-issue. Thanks to all who responded to this thread.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.