03 Yzf 450

27 replies to this topic
  • sean3239

Posted April 15, 2006 - 05:30 PM

I have an 03 YZ450 that I am about to sell and I will miss it (bought an 06). The 03 bike is great, jetting was spot on and the motor is awesome and valves perfect. The only thing I had go wrong was third gear lost two teeth about two months ago. The shop that fixed never saw that before and thought it might have been a one in a million metal defect. I didnt abuse it but third gear is where you are usually at on a motocross track (although I think someone else on here had the same problem). After riding the 06 the 03 motor feels really smooth but the bike feels much bigger than the 06. There ya go, great bike!

• Doug_Caldwell

Posted April 20, 2006 - 12:22 PM

Well, as you can see in my signature, I have both the 2003 and 2004. I have not riden the 2004 as much as the 2003 because the power is so much better for me. I want to be able to have power coming out of the corners and to hit jumps right out of the corners and the 2003 has it. I actually even have geared mine so they have 50 tooth sprockets on the back. My bikes are set up exactly the same except the suspension. They have the same exhaust and everything. The only thing that was better with the 2004 as far as the engine was the clutch.

As soon as I am back from my tour overseas, I should be picking up a pair of new 2007s. But I am going to have a hard time parting with the 2003. I want to make it a Super Moto bike, but my wife sees things differently.

• kawirider

Posted April 20, 2006 - 01:31 PM

The '03 is fantastic. I rode my '03 back to back with my friends '04 and I must say that the '03 is a lot more fun. Isnt that why we all ride? The jetting is VERY easy to fix. When it gets cold you just put a richer main jet, richer pilot jet, and go down 1 position on the needle. (or is it up 1 postion? I cant remember) On tight trails you wont like the 4 speed as much but on the track and on wider trails you will LOVE the 4 speed. The 4 speed lets you concentrate on improving other areas because you dont think about what gear your in and you dont worry about shifting all th time.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 20, 2006 - 04:44 PM

I like my 03 so much it is getting a 480 overbore kit....Suspension is Enzo and the new motor will be a beast! Best yamaha I ever owned before my 06.....a dragster of a bike :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YzGuy79

Posted April 20, 2006 - 09:32 PM

I recently went from a YZ125 to an 03 450. Holy shit!!!

a dragster of a bike

yeah that's about the understatement of the year

Gods of power: I bow down :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 21, 2006 - 11:28 AM

It's the best motox bike I've owned since I started riding in 1980.

• yamaha450f

Posted April 21, 2006 - 12:03 PM

yeah its very powerful. I came from a 1990 yz80 to my 03 450 and my first time on it I almost shit my pants.

• csl590

Posted May 03, 2006 - 08:22 AM

I just got my 2003 YZF 450 and havent had it on the track yet, but have had in the sand. pulls hard with a paddle off big long sand jumps and the crazy part I weigh 280! I come up short and cased about a 40 ft jump landed great. I have even drag raced some guys with about $8000 dropped in their banshees, they get me out the whole because I cant launch a bike for nothin but it pulls so hard i catch them and then put about two bike lengths on them. I hurt some feelings.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.