03 Yzf 450

27 replies to this topic
  • thaile

Posted March 17, 2006 - 12:00 PM

Is the 03 YZF450 a good bike. Is there anything that was wrong with it. I'm thinking about buying one. Just curious about the bike. Thanks for any help!

• beezer

Posted March 17, 2006 - 12:51 PM

One the best bikes I ever had. What a motor!

• fastbyfrank

Posted March 17, 2006 - 03:10 PM

i have a 04 yz450f which is basically the same bike as the 03 (different forks) it is one of the best bikes i have ever owned, very reliable and very powerful. the aftermarket is huge for these bikes and with a few mods they make excellent trail bikes if thats what you are interested in or great mxers if thats what you are interested in. they require regular oil changes to keep the motor alive and regular bearing maintenance to keep them rolling smoothly. for me the bike does not have any big flaws. the hot oil tank cooks the grease out of fthe steering head bearings so they require more service than the other bikes. the dry sump oil system requires careful oil selection because the motor pulls its lubrication out of the oil tank so too thick of an oil may starve a cold engine of lubrication on startup because the oil tank has drained into the crankcase. other than that the valves seem to hold their adjustment for a long time and the motor is very dependable.
have fun! :thumbsup:

• flintlock28

Posted March 17, 2006 - 03:31 PM

I have a 2004 model....

The 2003 is known for the biggest "hit", i.e. it has the nastiest powerband of all of the Yz450f's, from 2003-2006. Some people regard it as too uncontrollable for a MX track, but great for pure acceleration. For 2004 the bike had the powerband altered by re-mapping the ignition, which made it slightly less violent.

Overall the 2003 is a very good bike, but the powerband can wear you down, since it really pulls hard. I think the clutch was known for having a minor problem with pull or something related. The 2003 however, does have the most inferior of all the years regarding the fork. I believe the 2003 had the 46mm fork which was upgraded to 48mm in 2004, which is overall just a better performing fork. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the 03' fork; it's just that each year it was improved. Hope this helps.

• fastbyfrank

Posted March 17, 2006 - 03:44 PM

I have a 2004 model....

The 2003 is known for the biggest "hit", i.e. it has the nastiest powerband of all of the Yz450f's, from 2003-2006. Some people regard it as too uncontrollable for a MX track, but great for pure acceleration. For 2004 the bike had the powerband altered by re-mapping the ignition, which made it slightly less violent.

Overall the 2003 is a very good bike, but the powerband can wear you down, since it really pulls hard. I think the clutch was known for having a minor problem with pull or something related. The 2003 however, does have the most inferior of all the years regarding the fork. I believe the 2003 had the 46mm fork which was upgraded to 48mm in 2004, which is overall just a better performing fork. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the 03' fork; it's just that each year it was improved. Hope this helps.

i have also heard the 03 hits harder i have not ridden one but i know that my 04 does not wear me down as hard or as fast as my 00 426 (that bike would wear me down fast)

• flintlock28

Posted March 17, 2006 - 03:53 PM

It's probably handling the weight, and higher center of gravity that wears you down.

• Austen coye

Posted March 17, 2006 - 04:01 PM

I had a yz 450 it was a good bike but i did not like the 4 seed transmisson that i had but it all depends on where you ride at it is a good track bike it is not good for long rides the rpms are high on it. good luck.

• fastbyfrank

Posted March 17, 2006 - 04:05 PM

It's probably handling the weight, and higher center of gravity that wears you down.

i agree with you, the 426 was 20lbs? heavier and that weight felt alot higher on the bike thats for sure, it just felt heavy up high the tank was larger and sat higher. i know that i wrecked alot, a combination of the hard hitting power and the high center of gravity, the bike would just get away from me especially later in the day when my arms were tired of wrestling the bike around.
my 450 on the other hand is very confidence inspiring and i am able to save myself when i get crossed up because of the great handling and milder hit. i am also able to ride harder longer because of its great handling and better weight distribution (plus lighter weight overall), i have only wrecked my 450 twice and that was because i was babying my body (i rode 28 days after hernia surgery,not smart :thumbsup: )

• fastbyfrank

Posted March 17, 2006 - 04:13 PM

I had a yz 450 it was a good bike but i did not like the 4 seed transmisson that i had but it all depends on where you ride at it is a good track bike it is not good for long rides the rpms are high on it. good luck.

i have heard other people that have not liked the 4 speed also, i was a little sceptical myself about it after coming off of a 426 with a 5 speed.
i have experimented with numerous gear changes and have installed a flywheel weight. i have geared up one tooth in the rear and this in combination with the flywheel weight has worked great for me, i am able to get through tight sections and still have enough top speed to satisfy my need for speed.
i have not ridden in the sand,just tight trails.
other people have ridden my bike(2 strokers) and they have said that the bike is too fast and the power is crazy.

• mxmark

Posted March 17, 2006 - 04:18 PM

I had a 2003 YZ450F. I had to put a heavier flywheel to make the bike managable. The clutch does have an Issue with being grabby but there is a fix for that problem. Good bike. Thanks Mark

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jaycycle

Posted March 17, 2006 - 06:22 PM

I have the 03 450f and I think its awsome. I have herd that too that people think that it pulls to hard or its the aceleration but i dont agree, I like it the way it is. Go with it!

• kid on a 426

Posted March 17, 2006 - 07:35 PM

i have also heard the 03 hits harder i have not ridden one but i know that my 04 does not wear me down as hard or as fast as my 00 426 (that bike would wear me down fast)

really is it the weight? do the 426's hit harder than 450's? The 2000's were supposed to be the tamest of the 426's because of the valves right? I know my suspension wears me down(havent had time to adjust it) and the throttle of course wears me down

• John407

Posted March 18, 2006 - 05:12 PM

I still have the '03 450. It is the only MX bike I've had that I actually slowed down. I went to 47 t on the rear sprocket and added a flywheel weight. The bike is solid, starts well and if you get the forks reworked is still a very competitive race bike.

I actually think that it is still a better race bike than a play bike, for me anyway. I like racing it but for trail riding or plonkin' other bikes seem more fun to ride. Might only be my opinion.

I also have had to reweld the frame, it cracked on the down tube under the steering head. I noticed that oil was seeping out through a small crack in the paint.

• fastbyfrank

Posted March 18, 2006 - 05:25 PM

really is it the weight? do the 426's hit harder than 450's? The 2000's were supposed to be the tamest of the 426's because of the valves right? I know my suspension wears me down(havent had time to adjust it) and the throttle of course wears me down

yes the 426 did hit harder in my opinion than my 04 450 it almost felt as if it was being rear ended it hit so hard.

• beezer

Posted March 18, 2006 - 05:50 PM

I agree with you, my 2002 426 hit much harder than my 2003 450 but the 450 never stopped pulling!

What a motor.

• Carbon450

Posted April 12, 2006 - 11:02 PM

I have a 2004 model....

You sure? I rode both back to back, the o4 hit waaayyy harder. The 04's snap has been the talk of the town for some time now.... but it is still not enough power :thumbsup:

• 03yz450f-43

Posted April 13, 2006 - 11:20 AM

I have to agree with Jaycycle. I'm a 45 (almost 46) year old vet rider. I love the power of the 2003 YZ450F on the track and love the 4 speed transmission. It really does not matter what gear you are in. Plenty of available power when you needed. As far as tiring out -- -- FITNESS - Stay in shape.

• smooty

Posted April 13, 2006 - 11:37 AM

its an awesome bike! pulls like a mother and is very fun! i ride sand, desert, and occasional mx. couldn't be happier(unless it had an aluminum frame hahaha, cant afford that yet..) i don't think you'll be dissapointed :thumbsup:

• TMAC25

Posted April 15, 2006 - 03:42 PM

Just bought a 2003 YZ450f. Everyone talked about the crazy powerband, I had it out on the track for the first time the other day and it does have a tone of power, but im sure I can get used to that. I also loved the 4 speed, was skeptical at first, but it simply doesn’t matter what gear you are in on that bike. Bike handles good, and I thought the suspension was surprisingly good. I simply dont see any negatives with this bike. My friend has a 05 crf450, he let me ride it a few months back, and the minutes I handed it back to him I was like "Im getting a four stroke." But I think I like the yz450f better. It has more power in my opinion, and I think it even handles better. Anyway, just thought I would throw my 2 cents in there. Im happy I bought the bike and im sure you will be to.

• rasta

Posted April 15, 2006 - 04:16 PM

i have a 02 426 and a 03 450, 426 is all around great bike for track or trails, the 03 450 is great on track, not the best on trails but can be modded for lower gears, i think they are probably the fastest, hard hitting thumpers around. will never sell my 03. my 426 is for sale right now.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.