Rear axle positioning question

8 replies to this topic
  • nothingleft

Posted March 17, 2006 - 11:49 AM

I was out checking the chain slack on my bike and noticed the lines that tell you where your rear wheel is lined up are off from one side of the bike to the other. On the chain side I count 4 hash marks from the back and on the brake side I count 3 hash marks. Should they be perfectly lined up, or is this normal? How do you know if your wheel is tracking straight?

• beakr

Posted March 17, 2006 - 12:32 PM

They should be the same on both sides

• tmckeown

Posted March 17, 2006 - 01:21 PM

Hi,

You should measure from rear axle to swingarm axle from both sides and be sure that marks lineup on both sides.

If your rear wheel is not lining up it will wear sprokets and chains faster + it can lead to situation where your chains will fell off from rear sproket.

Timo Mc

• Kepy

Posted March 18, 2006 - 01:11 AM

How do you know if your wheel is tracking straight?

for rough check you can put the bike on the lift stand and spin the wheel by the hand :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted March 18, 2006 - 07:24 AM

i use a straightedge to align the chain,pay no attention to those marks :thumbsup:

• nothingleft

Posted March 18, 2006 - 09:38 AM

i use a straightedge to align the chain,pay no attention to those marks :thumbsup:

What do you mean you use a straightedge? Can you give an explanation? Also, when I spin the back wheel on the stand the brake drags only on one section of the spin. Does this indicate the wheel is out of alignment?

• ncmountainman

Posted March 18, 2006 - 09:50 AM

i use a 12" ruler,setting it flat against the rear sprocket in line with the chain and adjust until the chain is even along the rule(i judge by the # marks) making sure to spin the wheel each time. they actually sell a tool for this but the 79 cent ruler works quite well. if you check it this way against what the marks say,you may be a bit surprised :thumbsup:

• nothingleft

Posted March 18, 2006 - 10:02 AM

You mean you place the ruler against the rear sprocket and then view it from the top down looking at how the chain lines up in comparison to the ruler from left to right with the ruler directly under the chain?

• ncmountainman

Posted March 20, 2006 - 04:52 AM

you got it :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.