New SS Powerbomb glows alot more than TI Stock

9 replies to this topic
  • SJMC_DON

Posted March 17, 2006 - 09:13 AM

I recently put on a SS Powerbomb and noticed it will glow red alot faster than my Stock Ti header ever did.

I've owned WR's for 7 years and I know a header will glow, just wondering if anyone can tell me if the SS header is shedding more heat than the Ti header?

I have two races this weekend and I don't want to find out in the middle of a race that my water pump hose has melted........ What is the mat'l I see some guys wrapping their headers or hoses with?

• hybridz77

Posted March 17, 2006 - 09:50 AM

did you install a complete system or just the powerbomb, guessing maybe the increased air flow might have leaned her out a i lil,

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 17, 2006 - 09:52 AM

If it flows better it glows better!!! :thumbsup: Make sure you rejet for the new high flow FMF pipe. :thumbsup:

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 17, 2006 - 10:08 AM

It is mated with a Q.

Indy - I am one of those lucky guys that has always had great success with Stock Jetting, I don't know if it comes from the climate and elevation in the Pac NW but I have always been pleased with the jetting as is.

So because of this I am an idiot when it comes to jetting. I will assume that I need to richen things up but I am leaving shortly on a 4 hour drive to a two day GP so I don't have time to re-jet. Can I make adjustment with the Air / Fuel screw?

Thanks!

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted March 18, 2006 - 07:20 AM

SUP INDY!

I have the Powerbomb SS on my WR too. She gets mother f'n hot. I've torched two pairs of Troy Lee Moto pants on that sucker.

That being said, has anyone put the E line carbon heat shield on a Powerbomb to help this? $99 is spendy for a heat shield, but I've already ruined $200 in pants, so why not. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted March 18, 2006 - 07:24 AM

SUP INDY!

I have the Powerbomb SS on my WR too. She gets mother f'n hot. I've torched two pairs of Troy Lee Moto pants on that sucker.

That being said, has anyone put the E line carbon heat shield on a Powerbomb to help this? $99 is spendy for a heat shield, but I've already ruined $200 in pants, so why not. :thumbsup:

Me too! :thumbsup: I have roasted a couple of pairs of Gortex Moose Expedition pants bull dogging the bike out of trouble! :bonk: :confused:

• ratbiker

Posted March 18, 2006 - 08:13 AM

I tack welded a couple of hose clamps to the stock heat sheild so i would not melt my pants.Works great!

• bigdrtrdr

Posted March 18, 2006 - 08:26 AM

SUP INDY!

Just order the FMF heat shield. Yes they make them both Ti and stainless for the PB headers.
I have them on both of our bikes, I think they are 29.95 for SS and 49.95 for Ti.
Havent ruinend a pair of pants since.

Eric

• dl19

Posted March 18, 2006 - 11:29 PM

Just installed a JD kit in opened up 05. 168 main/blue on #4. No more glowing header, and noticeably more power mid to top. I compared and could not tell any difference between stock needle visually. There is probably a different taper or something. I would go at least a 168 or maybe a 170 main first. Easily done with out removing carb, then if that does not give good throttle all the way go with a diff. needle and others. I have read great things about a Boysen,and will be trying one out in the near future. I want quiet (-96), so will work with the stock exhaust.

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 20, 2006 - 08:14 AM

Just installed a JD kit in opened up 05. 168 main/blue on #4. No more glowing header, and noticeably more power mid to top. I compared and could not tell any difference between stock needle visually. There is probably a different taper or something. I would go at least a 168 or maybe a 170 main first. Easily done with out removing carb, then if that does not give good throttle all the way go with a diff. needle and others. I have read great things about a Boysen,and will be trying one out in the near future. I want quiet (-96), so will work with the stock exhaust.

Thanks, I'm going to go with the blue needle and 170 I think. I was able to do well in the GP this weekend but at the expense of some clutch life I am sure. There was no mid at all but she screamed up top, it kind of sucked a HUGE GP course and I had to keep it in 3rd all day :thumbsup: Any advice on the pilot?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.