where is 7th gear?

9 replies to this topic
  • bonez34

Posted October 02, 2001 - 07:57 PM

stock gearing is way too low for the highway, or even side streets for that matter. what are some of your conclusions as to the hot setup for street and trail.

i would like some detailed feedback as to speed obtained and sound of engine. ie: 85mph, purring like a kitten or 85mph, screamin like a drz owner.

i know some of you have tried diff. combinations and would just like to save some time and money.

i have collected that 15/46 for the street and 13/46 for the dirt is good. whatcha think?

thanks.
signed, gearless in seattle.

• PMAUST

Posted October 02, 2001 - 08:38 PM

Its in your right hand! Don't be afraid to rev that bad boy it can take it. Although, a six speed would be good! :)

[This message has been edited by PMAUST (edited October 02, 2001).]

• *mike68*

Posted October 03, 2001 - 03:12 AM

Its a DIRTBIKE :)

I would recomend staying off the highway. It is not made for it. To gear your bike to criuse at 85 on the highway is cgoing to ruin the trail/fun aspect IMO>

[This message has been edited by *mike68* (edited October 03, 2001).]

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted October 03, 2001 - 03:44 AM

I geared my bike at 15/46 for a weekend of riding in the North Georgia mountains. A couple of friends were riding KTM Dukes and I wanted to try to keep up. The WR had no trouble cruising at 80+ mph with that gearing, although the acceleration wasn't what I was used to with stock gearing.

BTW, I installed Avon Gripsters just for that street riding weekend. They performed flawlessly. Does anyone want to buy a pair of 1 year-old Avon Gripsters with about 300 miles on them? Without an extra set of wheels, I don't think I'll be able to use them again before they "expire".

• tbronco

Posted October 03, 2001 - 04:14 AM

I'm running 14/52 right now. 75mph is screaming like a turpentined cat.

Maybe this table will be of use to you.
Each cell lists the sprocket ratio (rear / front), and a reference speed.

eg.,
If you have 14/49 combo, and run 70mph at a certain rpm, you would (theoretically) go 78.2mph with 15/47 at the same rpm.

These are all calculated values.
<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
<table border="1" width="90%">
<tr>
<td>
<div align="center">teeth</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">47</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">48</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">49</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">50</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">51</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">52</div>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
<div align="center">13</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.615</p>

67.8</p>
</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.692</p>

66.4</p>
</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.769</p>

65</p>
</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.846</p>

63.7</p>
</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.923</p>

62.5</p>
</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

4.0</p>

61.2</p>
</div>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
<div align="center">14</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.358</p>

73</p>
</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.429</p>

71.5</p>
</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.50</p>

70</p>
</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.571</p>

68.6</p>
</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.643</p>

67.3</p>
</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.714</p>

66</p>
</div>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
<div align="center">15</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.133</p>

78.2</p>
</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.20</p>

76.6</p>
</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.267</p>

75</p>
</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.33</p>

73.5</p>
</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.40</p>

72.1</p>
</div>
</td>
<td>
<div align="center">

3.467</p>

70.7</p>
</div>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>
------------------
tbronco
98 WR400 Dualsport!

Sorry about the blank space. I can't get rid of it???

[This message has been edited by tbronco (edited October 03, 2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted October 03, 2001 - 06:45 AM

I agree with Mike68, there is not a hot ticket. Either you'll have torque and lower top speed, or low torque and higher top speed.

What the h*$^ are you guys doing riding this bike at 80+ on the street? I hit 85 once-felt like the bike was going to disentegrate right there. (headshake, engine rpms, wind, etc). If you want to go fast on the road, get a street bike!!!

I don't understand why folks want to make the WR into a fast street bike. Ride any modern crotch rocket and you'll think the WR is a '68 Montesa or worse in comparison. You'll come to a realization that "gee this WR is pretty darn dangerous on the street" after you are used to a 'real' street bike.

Riding from trail to trail on the street-sure I can see that! But commuting and highway use should be left for road bikes. IMHO.

This is coming from years of dual sport, off-road and street bike experience on many different kinds of machines. Been there, done that! Dirt bikes belong in the dirt with variances for only very light street use (from trail to trail or perhaps a short errand).

• bonez34

Posted October 04, 2001 - 03:31 PM

well, some of us like to go trail to trail and keep up with traffic too. i really don't have a choice because there really isn't anywhere to ride nearby.
the closest track is a state away and all of the little places in between you can't get to except by bike.
i can't afford a street bike and really don't want one of them anyway.
when i go to bed i stay up every night thinking about dirt, not street. it pisses me off that i can't ride that much and with a dualer i can go ride it when and wherever i want. i have the best of both worlds.
stupid would be to take a zx-9 and put a knobby on it! i've seen it too-not pretty!
i was just trying to ease off of the rpm's a bit to make it easier to go 70-highway speeds-and not blow the thing up.

but flying past your mini-van at 100 would surely make you want to go riding wouldn't it?

• mcarp

Posted October 04, 2001 - 05:41 PM

Bonz-Now that's funny! Never seen a ZX-9 with knobbies!!!! I'm sure my YZF600 would fall over instantly in the mud! ROTFL!!

OK, I CAN see why folks want to take them on the street. I used to dual sport myself, but unfortunately a dirt bike makes for one lousy street bike-you just don't know it unless you've tried something else. Sorta like going from a beloeved TTR225 to a YZ426. I used to just find trails on the DS as it wasn't much good for any type of cruising or touring.

Have fun with your DS project!

• bonez34

Posted October 08, 2001 - 04:52 PM

yeah, i know about street bikes too but any more power than i already have is just askin for trouble! my bike can beat virtually any car-some exceptions-and gets better mileage than most as well. plus it pulls mad looks and stares. as well as old guys talkin about their old dirt bikes they used to ride.

out at an old dirt drag strip we used to watch guys with all sorts of bikes run an 1/8th mile drag strip. guys had harleys on nitrous with like a 33x12.50 super swamper on the back-let me tell you somethin-if you haven't seen this it is one amazing feat!!!

these guys flat out haul-ass!!! and some guys ran street bikes with knobbies(zx-9) and they would ride in with them on their back-change tires-race-change tires and ride home. some really crazy people! and some awesome custom bikes. they would roost about 50 feet behind them all the way down the track and with open pipes-look out.

• *mike68*

Posted October 09, 2001 - 02:24 AM

I also recall reading something about the WR's and riding on the asphalt not being good for them. Something about engine breaking. I'll see if I can find it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.