YZ or CRF which is better for tall guys?

9 replies to this topic
  • Nevada Tom

Posted March 16, 2006 - 07:03 PM

I currently ride a WR450 and am about to upgrade. I am on the fence between a CRF or YZ 450, I am 6'9" tall so this is a huge factor to me as to the fit. Any one know whick would be better for a taller guy like me?

• kid on a 426

Posted March 16, 2006 - 07:11 PM

get a yz and ans get a stg taller step seat and taller bars and clamps

• fastbyfrank

Posted March 16, 2006 - 07:33 PM

i believe both bikes are designed for a 6 foot and under rider. i am 6'3" and i am a little bit crowded on my bike(04yz450f). i beleive there is a mod to lower your footpegs(yzf), i have a concern on doing this mod as that will put my pegs and boots closer to the ground and i have ridden on trails where i need all the peg to ground clearance i can get.! :thumbsup:
i have a friend who is taller than me who owns a crf450 he has a taller seat and he says it makes a big difference.
i personally am going to get a tall seat myself.
in conclusion i would say either bike could be modded with a tall seat,bar risers and footpeg mods(the crf has bolt on peg lowering kits) but i beleive the yzf is roomier than the crf to begin with.
i am biased here but the yzf would be the bike i would pick for a multitude of other reasons(im not going to start bashing hondas)
have fun either way! :thumbsup:

• mlight9

Posted March 16, 2006 - 07:40 PM

What ever bike you decide on, you will have to doe extra upgrades to it to make it fit you better. I think the Yamaha has more user friendly power if that matters to you.

• Nevada Tom

Posted March 16, 2006 - 08:07 PM

What do you mean by user friendly?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mlight9

Posted March 16, 2006 - 08:26 PM

The power is very smooth from bottom to top on the YZ. I tested a Honda and it was typical Honda power to me, little dead on the bottom then the power comes on. I just play ride and race once in a while now. So I like having that smooth YZ power, because I never know what kind of riding I'll be doing. IF I was only racing I would enjoy the Honda as well. I'm 6'3" and put a Applied race triple clamp on my bike and couldn't be any happier.

• RoughR1der

Posted March 16, 2006 - 09:02 PM

The power is very smooth from bottom to top on the YZ. I tested a Honda and it was typical Honda power to me, little dead on the bottom then the power comes on. I just play ride and race once in a while now. So I like having that smooth YZ power, because I never know what kind of riding I'll be doing. IF I was only racing I would enjoy the Honda as well. I'm 6'3" and put a Applied race triple clamp on my bike and couldn't be any happier.

i was checking out the applied clamps and the mounts look tall as hell. i ordered tag t2 yz double highs, and was thinking of getting the applied triple. but after looking at it, looks like it might be too high. how tall are those mounts?

• minerbill

Posted March 16, 2006 - 09:31 PM

I have a YZ426 with the foot peg mod and Pro Taper AL bars with the KX high bend and fat bar adapters underneath. At a mere 6'4" it made a big difference for me. A taller seat is next on the list when I get around to buying one.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted March 16, 2006 - 09:41 PM

You might even think about a KTM. Very "euro", i.e. "big guy" like.

• mlight9

Posted March 17, 2006 - 06:13 AM

I got the rubber mounted triple clamps, never had those before. I really dig the rubber mounted clamps they seem to have a lot less vibration. The rubber mounts raise the bars 5mm from stock, then I added the 10mm riser kit to that, it seems to work for my height.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.