2003 yz450f bearings question

5 replies to this topic
  • boyonblue52

Posted March 16, 2006 - 04:22 PM

I was talking to my freind today who owns the same bike as me and hes been racing all his life. Me on the other hand just bought my first race bike in september (my 450) and love it any way we are planning on goin racing next weekend and he brought up that he was ganna check ane grease his bearings on the swing arm and front and rear wheels....he wasnt sure exactly how often to do this he said about every 3 race but see i dont race very often and i dont power wash my bikes so i dont force dirt in there so how often would you say to check and greese them in like hours? Thanks :thumbsup:

• fastbyfrank

Posted March 16, 2006 - 06:15 PM

i have greased serviced the bearingsin my 426 and 450 and it is not too bad of a job.the 426 was a 2000 and in 2004 (i had just bought used) the front wheel bearings broke and the axle was frozen into the hub. long story short i had to cut the axle out and replace it with new bearings. i decided to check the rest of the bearings and every bearing was rusty and crusty. i had to replace every single bearing on the bike. on my 450 (2004) i have already replaced the upper steering stem bearing. i have since put a zerk fitting in the steering stem. apparemtly having the oil tank in the frame cooks the grease out of the bearings and causes them to fail. the other bearings are still fine but they deffinately needed to be greased. the axles and shafts that go through the bearings were starting to seize in thier respective shafts though, and if i had not greased the bearings when i did im sure they would have frozen themselves in place.
i regularly grease and service my bearings now once a year for steering head, swingarm,shock linkage bearings. and 3 times a year for wheel bearings.
i would like to add more zerks to my bike besides the one in my steering head. it would not replace regular dissasembly and inspection but it would help to pressurize the cavitys and flush water out.
if anyone has done this or has pics on this mod please share :thumbsup:

• jerryls

Posted March 16, 2006 - 10:17 PM

so how often would you say to check and greese them in like hours?

I don't know about hours, but I do the swingarm twice a year. Check your stem bearings and upper shock bearing at the same time. If I've been riding in water, I'll regrease them much more frequently. Its a pain to do the first time, but you can get it done in an hour or so after that. Use waterproof grease.

Jerry

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • boyonblue52

Posted March 17, 2006 - 06:33 AM

Ok so its seems i should just greese and check them 2 times a year unless they have taken so decent abuse?

• fastbyfrank

Posted March 17, 2006 - 07:46 AM

Ok so its seems i should just greese and check them 2 times a year unless they have taken so decent abuse?

yes that schedule should work fine.

• boyonblue52

Posted March 17, 2006 - 10:35 AM

Thanks a lot guys im ganna hopfully get everything greesed by then end of this weekend. Thanks again it helped a lot!!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.