Splined section of clutch boss is loose. How?

3 replies to this topic
  • Pincushion

Posted March 16, 2006 - 04:04 PM

Is the splined section of the clutch boss on a 2000 pressed in? Mine is loose in the bore. At least I know what the cause of my squeeling clutch is.... the insert spinning in the bore until the clutch fully engages.

I cant figure out how this section worked its way loose. I put in a billet basket last summer, but torqued the nut properly. I'd like to know so I can avoid this problem in the future. Anyone else had this problem and figured the route cause of it?

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2006 - 04:44 PM

The clutch boss is a one-piece part (notice how I avoided calling it monolithic?). Are you saying that the boss is loose on the mainshaft, or are you talking about the basket instead? Or what?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pincushion

Posted March 16, 2006 - 04:55 PM

It's the boss. The spline section on mine was pressed in, but has worked its way loose and the splined section now will partially rotate inside the boss. When I took the pressure plate off I noticed the lock washer had one tab broken and the boss had indentations from the lock washer indicating it had spun a little on the shaft (which is how the lock tab broke it seems). The splined section was tight on the shaft, but the splined section is breaking loose from the boss.

Sorry if this isn't too clear as I'm having a hard time explaining it.

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2006 - 05:02 PM

No, you did fine. I was apparently incorrect. Sounds like the part just basically gave up. Just replace it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.