Help me regear my WR450?

9 replies to this topic
  • Old_Yeller

Posted March 16, 2006 - 08:14 AM

I'm a beginer rider living in Oregon and ride steep, wet, slippery, goat trails. It seems that the 450 is geared more for baja than tight twisty trails. I rode my friends CRF250X and it seemed to be geared perfect for the trails. His second gear felt like my first gear. I really liked it! My bike feels great on the fire roads but I bog out the engine on steep climbs unless I fly uphill. I just want to go super slow and tractor up the hills. I don't care about top speed at all as I'm rarely in 4th gear and never hit 5th. Maybe you can help me.

What are you guys running for gears? I've never changed the gears on a dirt bike. I'm assuming that if I change the back sprocket to a larger one I will have to get a new chain too, right? Could I just go to a smaller front sprocket instead?

Thanks in advance,
Fred

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 16, 2006 - 08:25 AM

Hey Fred, You could always install a 13t on the counter, but I would worry that the chain would rub on the chain slider more than normal, as they are with the stock 14t the chain really takes a toll on the chain slider. What I like about adding teeth on the rear sprocket is that when you go bigger it also sucks in the wheelbase, which might help turning in the tight stuff that you ride in. If I remember correctly the ratio from front to back is 3/1.

• simon@vic

Posted March 16, 2006 - 08:39 AM

Hey Fred, You could always install a 13t on the counter, but I would worry that the chain would rub on the chain slider more than normal.

not an issue. i run a 13/50 half the time. no extra rub. over 48000km on my org slider. also the wr250 comes with a 13t upfront ans has the same swing arm and slider.

try 13/50 or 14/52

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 16, 2006 - 08:46 AM

I run 13/52 & 13/50 & 14/50 & 15/50
The 13 tooth wears out quicker and is harder on your slider.
No performance issues. I run 13/52 for real technical stuff. :thumbsup:

• Old_Yeller

Posted March 16, 2006 - 09:17 AM

Do you have different chains that you put on depending on the gear ratios you choose or does the stock chain adjust enough? Do I need to get a longer chain if I went with a 13/52 setup?

Would I feel a big difference going to a 13t in the front over the stock 14t?

Thanks for all your help!
Fred

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted March 16, 2006 - 09:42 AM

13T in the front would be night and day IMO. You'll immediately notice that 1st gear becomes shorter and that second/third can become nice trail cruising gears. I've always run into problems when going up in the rear tooth count on my other bikes. No experience w/ the yammie yet. I'd say if you went up 3t in the back you'd probably need an alternate length chain. Don't mark my words though...

• nothingleft

Posted March 16, 2006 - 11:25 AM

I changed my front to 13T and it is much, much better. With the stock gearing you really fly down hill if you try to use the engine revs for braking. I noticed in the March Dirt Bike magazine the top speed in first gear was way higher than the competing bikes. Stock Gearing

BIKE 1st 2nd 3rd
CRF450X 27MPH 39 52
TE450 24 37 51
400EXC 26 38 48
450XC 27 40 56
WR450F 41 53 67

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 16, 2006 - 11:39 AM

I keep 2 chains active with my 2 sets of wheels:

I run 114 links with 13/50 & 14/50
I run 116 links with 13/52 & 15/50

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 16, 2006 - 02:53 PM

Well as usual I am the odd one. I went to a 12T counter and absolutely loved it. I had tried the 13 first , it was a huge improvement. But the 12 in the mountains made it a WEAPON. Pretty much made it stall proof and tight steep downhills were much better with the increased engine braking. It did take a ton of top end away, but I never ride in the fast open areas anyway. My bike hardly ever sees 5th gear. I bought those axle blocks that are longer on one side then the other, that way I dont have to change chains when switching gearing.

• simon@vic

Posted March 16, 2006 - 05:01 PM

Well as usual I am the odd one. I went to a 12T counter and absolutely loved it. I had tried the 13 first , it was a huge improvement. But the 12 in the mountains made it a WEAPON. Pretty much made it stall proof and tight steep downhills were much better with the increased engine braking. It did take a ton of top end away, but I never ride in the fast open areas anyway. My bike hardly ever sees 5th gear. I bought those axle blocks that are longer on one side then the other, that way I dont have to change chains when switching gearing.

12/50 is a bit much for the slider. try 13/53.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.