What taillight bulb does BD use?

5 replies to this topic
  • MindBlower

Posted March 15, 2006 - 07:00 PM

XR650R with the basic kit. It says C198 on the base. Couldn't find anything clost at Autobone. Motorcycle specific? I put an 1157 I had and it works but don't want to fry anything. Is there difference's in the bulbs that matters here? Or if it lights it's ok???

• Mudshark

Posted March 15, 2006 - 08:03 PM

Sorry... my BD kit has a LED tail light. Call the folks at BD and ask them.
They are very helpfull and will point you in the right direction.
I doubt if the bulb would "fry" anything. It might draw a bit too much
current though so check the wattage of the bulb and call BD to find out
what you supposed to max at.

• MindBlower

Posted March 15, 2006 - 08:38 PM

How do you like the LED? It looks nice, but how bright is it? From the side? Side views are usually the problem with LED as they are highly directional. If the reflector design isn't really good they just don't show up much/at all unless you are directly behind them.
Are they red LED's behind the clear cover?
I"ll call BD tomorrow, just hoped someone might know as I wanted to take it for the police inspection tomorrow AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted March 16, 2006 - 07:16 AM

The 198 bulb is the "heavy duty" version of the 1157. The 198 is a little dimmer, but more robust (vibration resistant). If you can't find a 198, the 1157 will work fine. Some auto parts store sell a 1157LL. The LL is for long life. It's nothing more than a relabeled 198.

• MindBlower

Posted March 16, 2006 - 09:21 AM

The 198 bulb is the "heavy duty" version of the 1157. The 198 is a little dimmer, but more robust (vibration resistant). If you can't find a 198, the 1157 will work fine. Some auto parts store sell a 1157LL. The LL is for long life. It's nothing more than a relabeled 198.

muchos gracias :thumbsup:

• Mudshark

Posted March 16, 2006 - 06:42 PM

How do you like the LED? It looks nice, but how bright is it? From the side? Side views are usually the problem with LED as they are highly directional. If the reflector design isn't really good they just don't show up much/at all unless you are directly behind them.
Are they red LED's behind the clear cover?
I"ll call BD tomorrow, just hoped someone might know as I wanted to take it for the police inspection tomorrow AM.

The directional thing is not as bad as I expected.
The "lens" does a pretty good job of getting the light out. The LED's are red
with a layer of white ones to illuminate the license plate.
The brake light is very bright.... the tail light is so-so.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.