Fork Spring Noise

2 replies to this topic
  • Kritter

Posted March 15, 2006 - 04:55 PM

I threw a set of stiffer front springs on a bike and they now make a rubbing noise. Ive never installed springs on conventional forks before...is this normal and it will eventually go away? The springs are significatnly stiffer so I was wondering if maybe there was less room inside the tube.

I put the small piece off the stock ones on the botton and re used the piece at the top as well

Any ideas?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Naru

Posted March 15, 2006 - 06:56 PM

I had the same problem happen to me too; after reading a few other posts on the forum, the impression I got was that it was due to the springs not being 'oiled up' from riding and should go away with time (and it did). Also, I was concerned that tightening the TC's to spec was pinching the tubes (especially with antisieze on the bolts), so I only torqued them to 80% of the perscribed torque which seemed to help.

• slomotobug

Posted March 16, 2006 - 07:57 AM

I had the same issue, try the Bel-Ray 10W fork oil, took all of the noise away and made the front end feel way better than any 5w oil i've ran. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.