YZ exhaust cam vs Hotcams exhaust on WR450

60 replies to this topic
  • dirtysouth

Posted January 29, 2008 - 10:45 AM

It won't make any difference by the way......
Use either and you won't be a tooth out!
I've also found that the valve clearances are the same at all the marks. :busted:

I was sort of wondering about this myself. Anyone out there with difinite clarification please respond. During my first adjustment I used my judgement based on touch due to a lack of clarity. It seemed like the H mark felt right for TDC and I just assumed that the two vertical lines with a horizontal between them were notched there to compensate for the Dwell at TDC. Is there any merit to this statement. I kinda see where MUTU has a point on the tooth jump since I haven't had any catastrophy since but am very curious as to actual designation. Heres what HC shows...
Posted Image

• SurvivorMan

Posted February 05, 2008 - 07:56 AM

I have ordered 06 yz intake and exhaust cams for my 07 wr 450.....can't wait!! as soon as i have installed, i will give a report.

both the intake and exhaust cams on the 07 WR 450 ARE definately different then the yz. if you are going to do cams, why not do both at the same time??

• beezer

Posted February 05, 2008 - 03:32 PM

The 06 YZ was the fastest YZ I think so your cam choice is a good idea.

I bought an 08 YZ exhaust cam for my 08 WR. The intake cams for the 08 YZ and WR are the same part #.

• Mutu

Posted February 05, 2008 - 05:09 PM

The 06 YZ was the fastest YZ I think so your cam choice is a good idea.

'07 was. '06 was bagged for being too soft. The '07 is a beast.
What's the difference between the cams? :busted:

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 05, 2008 - 10:02 PM

I hate to beat a dead horse but I don't see the answer here yet... If the WR intake cam on an 07' does NOT match the P/N for the YZ intake cam then you must change both intake and exhaust, correct?

Who has done an OEM YZ cam swap on their 07' WR? And if so, did you change the intake as well as the exhaust?

Sorry if this is confusing or repetitive, this thread is kind of making my head spin....

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 05, 2008 - 10:04 PM

I have ordered 06 yz intake and exhaust cams for my 07 wr 450.....can't wait!! as soon as i have installed, i will give a report.

both the intake and exhaust cams on the 07 WR 450 ARE definately different then the yz. if you are going to do cams, why not do both at the same time??

Did you order OEM or Hotcam?

Thanks!

• SurvivorMan

Posted February 06, 2008 - 02:25 AM

i ordered OEM.

• beezer

Posted February 06, 2008 - 06:36 AM

I had an 06 and an 07 YZ450 and the 06 was faster.

If I wanted a killer WR I would get the 06 YZ cams.

• Mutu

Posted February 07, 2008 - 09:14 AM

I hate to beat a dead horse but I don't see the answer here yet... If the WR intake cam on an 07' does NOT match the P/N for the YZ intake cam then you must change both intake and exhaust, correct?

Who has done an OEM YZ cam swap on their 07' WR? And if so, did you change the intake as well as the exhaust?

Sorry if this is confusing or repetitive, this thread is kind of making my head spin....

Maybe it's the same as the older wr's where the EX cam timing is out 1 tooth? :busted:

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 07, 2008 - 09:48 AM

Maybe it's the same as the older wr's where the EX cam timing is out 1 tooth? :busted:

Good question... but I don't want to be the guy that finds out :worthy:

I am going with 06' YZ cams from yamaha

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted February 07, 2008 - 10:44 AM

Good question... but I don't want to be the guy that finds out :ride:

I am going with 06' YZ cams from yamaha

please post a review of that mod when you install the cams. I have an 07 WR and it's hard to imagine it having more grunt, specially down low:crazy: :blah: . But more power couldn't hurt anything, right?? It might be something to look into for me. I already have the full 06 yz exhaust on my bike plus all the other popular mods, the cams are the only thing keeping it from becoming a WZ.:busted: :worthy: :blah: I'm thinking that if the cams do make a significant difference, that bike will start to get a little scary to ride....

• simica

Posted February 08, 2008 - 10:09 PM

I have an '05 WR 450 and plan on going with the YZ exhaust cam soon. Do I order one for an '05 YZ or an '04 YZ? I'm looking forward to seeing the difference it makes to my bike.

• Mutu

Posted February 10, 2008 - 12:44 PM

I have an '05 WR 450 and plan on going with the YZ exhaust cam soon. Do I order one for an '05 YZ or an '04 YZ? I'm looking forward to seeing the difference it makes to my bike.

'03 - '05 YZ EX cam same same!

• simica

Posted February 10, 2008 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for the info!

• SurvivorMan

Posted February 13, 2008 - 08:38 AM

just picked up my 06 yz cams yesterday, i will have them installed for the weekend with an update. looking forward to the next ride.

• beezer

Posted February 17, 2008 - 04:19 PM

I got a chance to run my 08 WR with an 08 YZ exhuast cam and a Dr. D. pipe and all the usual uncorking. I made my own AIS kit.

The bike is very fast it feels just like a YZ450 with a heavier flywheel which is what it is really. The bike is definately faster than the other WR450's I have owned. I measured both cams and the YZ cam has quite a bit more lift.

I ran a 48 pilot, a 165 main and an 08 YZ450 needle. The throttle response wasn't all that good so I turned in the A/P screw 1/2 a turn and it made a big difference.

I didn't put an o-ring on the A/P because I ride in the woods and don't want the power really abrupt.

The Dr. D. pipe is nice but having to loosen the pipe up to change the oil was a PIA. I had to loosen all the pipe mounting bolts as well.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 17, 2008 - 08:51 PM

I got a chance to run my 08 WR with an 08 YZ exhuast cam and a Dr. D. pipe and all the usual uncorking. I made my own AIS kit.

The bike is very fast it feels just like a YZ450 with a heavier flywheel which is what it is really. The bike is definately faster than the other WR450's I have owned. I measured both cams and the YZ cam has quite a bit more lift.

I ran a 48 pilot, a 165 main and an 08 YZ450 needle. The throttle response wasn't all that good so I turned in the A/P screw 1/2 a turn and it made a big difference.

I didn't put an o-ring on the A/P because I ride in the woods and don't want the power really abrupt.

The Dr. D. pipe is nice but having to loosen the pipe up to change the oil was a PIA. I had to loosen all the pipe mounting bolts as well.

E-start working good?

• beezer

Posted February 18, 2008 - 06:10 AM

The e-start works when it's warm but on cold starts I just kick it.

None of the WR450's I have owned ever liked to start in 30 degree weather on the e-start. I always used the kick starter.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 18, 2008 - 08:51 AM

The e-start works when it's warm but on cold starts I just kick it.

None of the WR450's I have owned ever liked to start in 30 degree weather on the e-start. I always used the kick starter.

True...

• Storbeck

Posted February 20, 2008 - 07:14 PM

Good info from beezer.

Looking forward to hearing from albertabigdog on how the 06 cams work, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the 06 YZ cams for my 07 WR450 also.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.