Promoto Billet exhaust tip report

15 replies to this topic
  • stknrdr

Posted March 14, 2006 - 12:40 PM

Got my PMB exhaust tip installed today...just thought Id let you know what my impressions are. Its a nice piece...I especially like being able to put in the spark arrestor and take it out again whenever I feel like it.

I bought the old version of the tip...it was the only one they had when I called, and I didnt want to wait weeks for it.

Installation was easy...took me maybe 15-20 min...just drilled out the old rivets, popped them into the canister with a centerpunch, took my plumbing torch and heated the seam until the sealant loosened, and removed the OEM tip. Then I put hi temp sealant around the lip of the PMB tip, slid it in place...drilled holes in the proper place and re-riveted it in place.

I also bought the silent insert. Without the insert it sounds just like stock. With the insert its a little quieter but still plenty loud....Im curious as to just how much quieter it is...its supposed to be ble to pass a 96db test... my guess is just barely. I didnt notice much of a power loss with the silent tip...there HAS to be some but its not horrible. At the level I ride I dont think its going to matter to me, but ill be able to worry a little less about annoying the neighbors.

My impression is that if you want an approved spark arrestor this is by far the quickest and easiest way to go. As for the silent insert...Im not too sure that it quiets this bike down enough to be worth the money. Id like to get it tested and see sometime...but there is definately a discernable lessening of noise.

oh its on an 06 yz450f

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 14, 2006 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the report. My bro is buying an 06 450 too and he is looking into SA options. I told him about PMB. I will tell him what you found. Thanks agian.

• kirk501

Posted March 14, 2006 - 05:59 PM

Just put the new style PMB on my 06 450, rode it last Sunday, This is my third PMB installation on three different bikes and every time it seems like it takes the snap out of the exhaust ever so slightly and kind of flattens the power feel.
I drag raced 05 and a 06 crf 450 and we were about the same as before I installed the tip, so its more of a mental thing I guess.
The new style tip looks and fits great, mine has a gold anodize look.
The tip costs around $125.00 I hear they are making a diffuser for another $35.00 to keep the decibel rating under I think 92 or so.
I bought a complete 06 exhaust on e bay for $75.00 so I can put the stock muffler on when sparky is not needed.
I leave the pipe on the bike and remove the rear fender to drill out the rivets, to me its the perfect vise to hold the exhaust in place, I have also learned the hard way that its a real good idea to use a little high temp RTV on the seal, I didn't on my last o4 crf and had to re rivet it because it was rattling, looked like Frankenstein when I was done so use the RTV.

• yogist

Posted March 14, 2006 - 06:02 PM

When I installed mine I repacked my pipe and it was noticably quieter than the stock pipe..Repacking every 6 months or so is a must as far as Im concerned.. I also drilled and tapped mine so I can just pull out the screws and change the packing easily..

• One Louder

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:11 PM

Hey guys I just got back into riding again and I'm wanting to learn more of the technical side to the bikes. I know this is a stupid question but what does a spark arrestor do?

• ovrrdrive

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:28 PM

They never come out and say the quiet insert will put the 450's under 96 db. They say that about the 250f's but the 450f's they just say it will lower the output by a few db...

On a side note, I have a PMB tip with the quiet insert and am very happy with it. It's a nice unit.

• Javelin

Posted March 14, 2006 - 08:21 PM

They arrest sparks! :thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted March 15, 2006 - 09:46 AM

I put the new style endcap on my 06 last night... haven't got a chance to ride it yet and probably won't for a while, but the install was easy and it looks pretty good on there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted March 15, 2006 - 11:16 AM

I know this is a stupid question but what does a spark arrestor do?

It's a screen in the silencer that prevents the odd spark from exiting the tail pipe and causing a forest fire, hence US Forest Service approved.
BTW, there are no stupid questions,..... just stupid people who ask questions. :thumbsup: j/k

• bg10459

Posted March 15, 2006 - 11:22 AM

They never come out and say the quiet insert will put the 450's under 96 db. They say that about the 250f's but the 450f's they just say it will lower the output by a few db...

Very interesting. Has anyone ever had a problem at an AMA event where the PMB spark arrestor and silent insert did not pass? I'll be doing some dual sports, enduros and hare scrambles this year and I'm looking for a fallback plan in case the YZ pipe on my WR450 doesn't pass.

• rooster wrooster

Posted March 15, 2006 - 06:10 PM

I just put mine on last night. Before and after shots

before
http://webpages.char...do/IMG_3081.JPG

after
http://webpages.char...do/IMG_3251.JPG
http://webpages.char...do/IMG_3252.JPG

• One Louder

Posted March 15, 2006 - 08:52 PM

It's a screen in the silencer that prevents the odd spark from exiting the tail pipe and causing a forest fire, hence US Forest Service approved.
BTW, there are no stupid questions,..... just stupid people who ask questions. :thumbsup: j/k

Thanks man... it's all becoming clearer now

• dirtbikindad426

Posted March 15, 2006 - 10:13 PM

Very interesting. Has anyone ever had a problem at an AMA event where the PMB spark arrestor and silent insert did not pass? I'll be doing some dual sports, enduros and hare scrambles this year and I'm looking for a fallback plan in case the YZ pipe on my WR450 doesn't pass.

I just put one on my new yeller bird here is what I found.

We race D-37 here in the So Cal desert. We have a 96db rule and sound testing at every race. I tested the bike with the stock pipe it was 100-101 depending on the test. After the PMB installation it tested at 98-99. The PMB has the sparky and silent insert. The test is done at 4500 rpms. Not sure what that all means but I know it still doesn't pass sound test. I will be buying a pipe to see if that works just don't know what brand yet. I will let you know when and what I find out when I buy the pipe.

• stknrdr

Posted March 16, 2006 - 07:00 AM

I just put one on my new yeller bird here is what I found.

We race D-37 here in the So Cal desert. We have a 96db rule and sound testing at every race. I tested the bike with the stock pipe it was 100-101 depending on the test. After the PMB installation it tested at 98-99. The PMB has the sparky and silent insert. The test is done at 4500 rpms. Not sure what that all means but I know it still doesn't pass sound test. I will be buying a pipe to see if that works just don't know what brand yet. I will let you know when and what I find out when I buy the pipe.

I suspected as much.....I know it is still just about as loud as it was. So a 1-3 db reduction is all we got with the silent insert...good to know.

• bg10459

Posted March 16, 2006 - 11:06 AM

I tested the bike with the stock pipe it was 100-101 depending on the test. After the PMB installation it tested at 98-99. The PMB has the sparky and silent insert. The test is done at 4500 rpms. Not sure what that all means but I know it still doesn't pass sound test.

Well, looks like I'll be bringing the stock WR pipe with me whenever I race. I'll try one of the inserts for that pipe.

FYI, no one checked for SA's or sound on my last dual sport run, but I hear the races in NJ are strict.

• dirtbikindad426

Posted March 16, 2006 - 08:53 PM

I will test again this weekend and post the results, Different testers get different results.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.