Quick question

19 replies to this topic
  • TimBrp

Posted March 14, 2006 - 10:31 AM

Going to pick up my 06' WR450F soon and I'm getting a list to my dealer of things I want. I'm not even going to bother riding this thing stock as I know the pain of a 'corked-up' bike. Here is my list for them to do the uncorking as they're going to jet it for me prior to pickup.

AIS removal kit
Zip Ty fuel screw
Gray wire disconnect
Airbox mods, snorkel and ride side cutting
FMF Q exhaust(canister only)
Then jet the bike.

Am I missing anything? Does this sound legit?

Thanks in advance!!! :thumbsup:

• boer

Posted March 14, 2006 - 10:42 AM

You will also want to shorten the throttle stop to YZ length :thumbsup:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 14, 2006 - 10:44 AM

Tim, welcome aboard!!! It's great to have you here on the WR board.. :thumbsup: Let's get that thing dialed up.... :thumbsup:

• TimBrp

Posted March 14, 2006 - 10:46 AM

You will also want to shorten the throttle stop to YZ length :thumbsup:

I read that the YZ throttle stop came with the AIS kit..???

Dan-thanks, nice to put some blue blood in with the red. No one can accuse me of being brand biased(yammie, honda, husky)...lol.

• Kepy

Posted March 14, 2006 - 12:21 PM

Going to pick up my 06' WR450F soon and I'm getting a list to my dealer of things I want. I'm not even going to bother riding this thing stock as I know the pain of a 'corked-up' bike. Here is my list for them to do the uncorking as they're going to jet it for me prior to pickup.

AIS removal kit
Zip Ty fuel screw
Gray wire disconnect
Then jet the bike.

I would also ask him for proper greasing (wheels, steering head, etc.) as the Japanesse saves on it.

• odonnks

Posted March 14, 2006 - 12:30 PM

If its the Yamaha AIS removal kit it'll have the YZ T-stop.

• TimBrp

Posted March 14, 2006 - 12:41 PM

Thanks Odonnks! As for the greasing, I'll do it myself as I trust no one.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 14, 2006 - 02:05 PM

Tim, how do you feel about the bar bend? I felt like the bars were in my lap.... In my book, they've gotta go...

• TimBrp

Posted March 14, 2006 - 06:17 PM

Tim, how do you feel about the bar bend? I felt like the bars were in my lap.... In my book, they've gotta go...

It definitely felt low. However, the bike felt high..?? Geometry issue there for sure. Parts dude kept wanting me to buy the Button Fat bars and clamp setup, go figure. I opted to not get that(got the FMFQ2 instead) and got the handguards that mount to the tripples just in case I change my mind. Gonna break it in and then get the suspension/bar setup squared away. Now if the snow just holds, I'll be all set.... :thumbsup:

• grappler

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:52 PM

Congratz, Tim! :thumbsup:

I recently picked up my '06 WR450 as well and became a member of the boards.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OneToGo

Posted March 14, 2006 - 08:14 PM

Congrats on your new aquisition!

AIS removal kit
Zip Ty fuel screw
Gray wire disconnect
Then jet the bike.

Apart form the already mentioned YZ stop ( see also :www.thumperfaq.com ) the jetting is all that essentially reamins in the motor department. With the stock jeting (Main 165/ Pilot 45) it will run lean. Indy and Clark have done a lot of work with the JD kit and have some great ballpark figures. Clark has modded Indys figs for the 05/06 models:
This is a sample:
Elevation 0 to 4,000 feet:

30 to 45 degrees: 172 main, JD Blue #5, 48 Pilot, 2.0 turns, 75 starter jet, #0 leak jet
45 to 60 degrees: 170 main, JD Blue #4, 48 Pilot, 1.75 turns, 72 starter jet, #35 or 0 leak jet
60 to 75 degrees: 170 main, JD Blue #3 or JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.5 turns, 70 starter jet, #40 leak jet
75 to 90 degrees: 168 main, JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.25 turns, 68 starter jet, #50 leak jet
90 degrees plus: 165 main, JD Red #4, 45 Pilot, 2.0 turns, 65 starter jet, #60 leak jet

Enjoy the ride and welcome to WoRld of blue..keep us posted
:thumbsup:

• pkcof

Posted March 15, 2006 - 02:21 AM

Don't forget the correct suspension sag ... approx 95mm for the rear - and you might want to have the forks about 15mm ~ 20mm above the top clamp to help it turn really sharp !! (unless you're doing predominately desert riding) ... the tyres are a personal choice

• TimBrp

Posted March 15, 2006 - 03:42 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Once I get the bike broken in suspension is a must.

• nuttynick

Posted March 15, 2006 - 11:54 AM

:thumbsup: just sold a gas gas ec 300 , px for wr450 ( brand new) am a little dissapointed wiv performance , sorted throttle stop and air box waiting for arrow can , will cut grey wire at the week end is something wrong? nuttynick

• nuttynick

:thumbsup: just sold a gas gas ec 300 , px for wr450 ( brand new) am a little dissapointed wiv performance , sorted throttle stop and air box waiting for arrow can , will cut grey wire at the week end is something wrong? nuttynick

• nuttynick

• nuttynick

• nuttynick

Posted March 15, 2006 - 11:55 AM

:thumbsup: just sold a gas gas EC 300 , PX for wry450 ( brand new) am a little disappointed wiv performance , sorted throttle stop and air box waiting for arrow can , will cut grey wire at the week end is something wrong? nuttynick

• TimBrp

Posted March 15, 2006 - 12:13 PM

Yeah dude, we get it...lol

• odonnks

Posted March 15, 2006 - 04:50 PM

nuttynick -
Do all the free mods at
http://www.thumperfaq.com/index.htm
Be sure to adjust the AP linklage.
Then do the common mods if you like.

You won't be disappointed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.