650L XRs only rear rack

21 replies to this topic
  • Fio

Posted March 14, 2006 - 08:59 AM

Has anyone installed the XRs only rear rack for the XR650L? What did you think? Are there any other racks out there for the650L? Please post pics if possible. The pics on their website do not show the rack on a bike. :thumbsup:

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted March 14, 2006 - 09:09 AM

I have some pics in my garage.

Click on them, and they will display full size.

Its a solid rack, and am happy with the purchase.

• dbracht

Posted March 14, 2006 - 10:05 AM

Check out happy-trails.com or promoto billet racks. (do a google search) I put the happytrails rack on my 650l. Nice rack but rather heavy. It didn't really fit that well. If I did it again I would probaly look real closely at the aluminum promoto rack. I think XR Only's rack is a promoto built. A least it looks similar. Both these racks are made locally here in Idaho.

• eligabby

Posted March 14, 2006 - 10:11 AM

You also might want to check out the racks from Pro-Moto Billet, all of my friends have them and they are great.

• rickfromnz

Posted March 14, 2006 - 11:13 AM

I purchased the Happy Trail Tail and Side Racks for my XR650L. They are high quality and very strong, but the bolt holes didnt align perfectly, but managed to get them on after a bit of work. The worst part of it was their customer service. They did not respond to emails at all, I had to telephone them to find out what was going on with my order. I would recommend their product but not their customer service!

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted March 14, 2006 - 12:04 PM

I have the Pro-Moto billet one on my bike, nice rack, fit & finish is superb, but you pay for it too! $$$

Pics in my garage, it does however look suspiciously like the XR's Only one.

• lrutt

Posted March 14, 2006 - 12:12 PM

the XRs rack is like $40 less than the promoto I think. I have the XRs rack and am very satisified. The happy trails rack just didn't do it for me.

• Mooncruiser

Posted March 14, 2006 - 05:09 PM

I just talked to Pro-Moto, and they make the racks for XR's Only.

I think the one Pro-Moto sells at their site is slightly larger, and yes, more $$$.

Chip

• kelleyseiler

Posted March 16, 2006 - 03:00 PM

I have a Happy Trails Rack and love it. Heres a pic. http://i43.photobuck...yTrailsRack.jpg

• MindBlower

Posted March 16, 2006 - 05:51 PM

I have some pics in my garage.

Click on them, and they will display full size.

Its a solid rack, and am happy with the purchase.

WHat kind of DS kit is that? I"d like to get a rack but don't really want my turn signals sticking out so far. Mine tuck in nicely right now. Do they have to move to mount that rack? It's LOOKS like mine could stay where they are.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GrayGhost

Posted March 16, 2006 - 05:59 PM

Put quick releases on your rear turn signals, on or off in less then a minute, while your bike warms up, no tools.

• MindBlower

Posted March 16, 2006 - 09:01 PM

Put quick releases on your rear turn signals, on or off in less then a minute, while your bike warms up, no tools.

Really, very cool. Where do you get them?

• Jayzonk

Posted March 16, 2006 - 10:12 PM

I have a Happy Trails Rack and love it. Heres a pic. http://i43.photobuck...yTrailsRack.jpg

Okay, that's not the Happy Trails rack I expected to see - the one on their website is just a square piece with one bar across the middle, not an aluminum plate. Maybe there's a new one??
BTW, any of you guys recommend a titanium exhaust pipe??

• churchman2003c

Posted March 17, 2006 - 10:02 AM

I've got a Pro-Moto on my L and it looks like it can withstand alot of abuse.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted March 17, 2006 - 12:36 PM

WHat kind of DS kit is that? I"d like to get a rack but don't really want my turn signals sticking out so far. Mine tuck in nicely right now. Do they have to move to mount that rack? It's LOOKS like mine could stay where they are.

If you mean DS as in Dual Sport, it isn't a kit. It is mounted on my factory 650L. :thumbsup:

The rack didn't really push the turn signals out far, if at all. I/we could get creative with different turn signal models, or mounting options. The rack is very solid/rigid, and could be used as a support for other turn signal options. Acerbis, I think, makes a taillight with integrated amber turnsignals, too.

• pigfluxer

Posted March 17, 2006 - 02:23 PM

check cycleracks.com,it is a big well made rack that is diffrent than the others.

• kelleyseiler

Posted March 17, 2006 - 06:30 PM

Okay, that's not the Happy Trails rack I expected to see - the one on their website is just a square piece with one bar across the middle, not an aluminum plate. Maybe there's a new one??
BTW, any of you guys recommend a titanium exhaust pipe??

I added the diamond plate but it already has threaded holes to mount it. :thumbsup:

• Manchu

Posted March 17, 2006 - 09:27 PM

I've been using a CycleRacks rack on my L for a little while now. Previously I had the Happy Trails but it just wasn't quite big enough, and the fact that it mounts only to the subframe was a concern for me.
Anyways, this CycleRacks model is awesome!! The fit, finish, and build quality are just amazing (compared to, say, HT). I mean, this thing is built like a tank, and it mounts directly to the frame as well. Don, I believe his name is (also out of Boise), is cranking out a second-to-none product cheaper than anybody.

:thumbsup:

• Mooncruiser

Posted March 17, 2006 - 11:16 PM

I got my Pro-Moto billet rack three days after I ordered it. Installed it today. The rack fits like a glove, uses the existing turn signals, and is bombproof sturdy.

Only gripe is it uses Torx head bolts. Minor PITA to round up my cordless drill and chuck in a Torx bit, but I had the rack on the pig in about 1/2 hr. and two beers.

This rack is a beautiful piece of engeneering, and USA built, to boot. I'm real happy with it.
Chip

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted March 18, 2006 - 09:29 AM

I got my Pro-Moto billet rack three days after I ordered it. Installed it today. The rack fits like a glove, uses the existing turn signals, and is bombproof sturdy.

Only gripe is it uses Torx head bolts. Minor PITA to round up my cordless drill and chuck in a Torx bit, but I had the rack on the pig in about 1/2 hr. and two beers.

This rack is a beautiful piece of engeneering, and USA built, to boot. I'm real happy with it.
Chip

This thread is worthless without pics!

LOL...send 'em, post 'em, upload 'em. You know the drill. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.