Cam Chain Tensioner Install

6 replies to this topic
  • mulisha00

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:48 AM

I am almost done with the 03 cam mod in my 426 and with help of another TT member I was told about the cam chain tensioner. I completly removed mine from the engine when I did the mod.

What do I need to do to get it back together right. I did searches and found little bits but nothing solid.

Is it supposed to move in and out if you press on it for supposed to be tight?????????? Please help quick as I'm off to the dealership right now to get my shims.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:57 AM

mulisha, push on the tensioner and wind the screw... as you wind the screw it will retract, and once the screw stops turning it shoud stay retracted. Bolt the tensioner in, give the screw a little jiggle, and it will release and tension the chain. Hope this helps.

• RD73

Posted March 14, 2006 - 08:06 AM

You'll need a small thin screwdriver to gain access to the screw.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2006 - 08:30 AM

You're not using a manual? Here:

http://motoman393.th...426_manual.html

Remove the bolt with the 10mm head from the end of the tensioner. put a small screwdriver in the hole and find the slot in the end of the spring holder. Turn the screwdriver to wind the spring up. As you do, the plunger will be drawn in. When it gets clear to the end, it should catch and hold in the completely retracted position. Then, bolt the assembly to the cylinder, stick the screwdriver back in the hole and give it a little turn the opposite direction of that which wound it up. It will spring down against the chain and take up any slack it finds. It's totally self-adjusting, so that's the whole procedure.

• mulisha00

Posted March 14, 2006 - 08:41 AM

Gray THANKS but I already have the manual downloaded on my computer at school. I'm in for spring break using a friends computer and cannot download anything to it.

Thanks to all for the quick info. I'm off to get some shims. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk: :confused:

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 14, 2006 - 10:54 AM

I think kelstr was advocating using a MANUAL chain adjuster to avoid any problems (ive never heard of any problems) What do you guys think of that idea?

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2006 - 11:20 AM

I know he'll disagree, and he's not the only one who has suggested it, but I haven't seen a verifiable case where the chain tensioner failed. The way they're made, it would be very difficult to cause one to slip. If anyone has a defective one that has let a chain back off to send me, I'd love to have a look at it.

The main shortcoming of a manual cam chain tensioner is that it's another thing that requires attention (often). That, and the difference between the right tension and either too much or too little is very small, and there are potentially serious consequences for making either mistake, too. Manual adjusters may have a place in a very highly modified all out race engine, but I don't see that they offer most of us an advantage, or that there's a problem that need to be fixed.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.