how many quarts of oil?

5 replies to this topic
  • mnelson78

Posted July 24, 2001 - 11:11 AM

How many quarts(US) of oil does the DRZ400S take?

• Crazy_Luke

Posted July 24, 2001 - 12:00 PM

2 - If you change oil filter and drain the oil hose on the bottom of the frame oil tank (as though you are cleaning the strainer), then it should take almost exactly 2 qts.

• JoeB

Posted July 25, 2001 - 11:11 AM

You should have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of oil left in the second quart after filling. After that start it up, let it run for 3 min. and check it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NEOhioDRZ

Posted July 26, 2001 - 05:32 AM

DO NOT PUT 2 WHOLE QUARTS IN for a regular oil change, you will overfill it. Overfilling oil can be bad for the bike just as underfilling can. There should be a sticker on your frame near the oil cap/dipstick/fill that says how many ml of oil to add, and it definitely IS less than 2 quarts. I recently overfilled my bike with oil, and (though I can't prove it) suspect it may have had something to do with leaking oil from my countershaft seal. I both replaced the seal, and put the oil to the proper level. No more leaks.

[This message has been edited by NEOhioDRZ (edited 07-26-2001).]

• araldite

Posted July 26, 2001 - 09:24 PM

Originally posted by mnelson78:
How many quarts(US) of oil does the DRZ400S take?

Quarts?????!!

• Crazy_Luke

Posted July 26, 2001 - 02:17 PM

If you clean the oil filter (stainless steel here) and get excess oil out of the oil filter compartment AND clean the strainer like I do every oil change (requiring you to drop the oil hose on the bottom of the frame oil tank - and losing the oil in that hose) - THEN the DR-Z will take almost exactly 2 quarts.

And - just for the record, 2 quarts is equal to 1892 mL. The shop manual calls for 1800 mL on an oil and filter change -

Safe bet if you don't mess with the strainer is to put in 1700 mL or 1.75 qts., check the dip stick, and top it up - of course.

[This message has been edited by Crazy Luke (edited 07-26-2001).]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wheelie discussion by Chubs604

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  136 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013 by hondajon80

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013
  • * * * * -
  • 14 reviews
  • Last review by orundle
  • On September 19, 2014
Forums
Photo

FCR 39mm Carb from TT store - Question by Chubs604

• Hot  58 replies
Forums
Photo

Brand new 2014 DRZ 400SM by jprince911

• Hot  65 replies
Wiki
Lighten up your DR-Z400S - last post by motoinmoab

Lighten up your DR-Z400S

Wiki Articles
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.