Poor Mans 8mm Bar Risers for 06 450

18 replies to this topic
  • Troutman

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:11 AM

Well I am tall and was hating the low bar height on the new 450 but did not want to spend $60 for risers or $90 for new bars. So i headed down to the local hardware store and spent $1 for (8) 2mm zinc coated washers that would fit around my bar mount posts snugly. I then removed the posts and stacked (4) of the washers on each post under the clamps. I then removed the plain washer from the bottom of the post and used lock tight when replacing the nut on the bottom of the post. The nut was able to grab all but the very last thread. This gave me 8mm of bar rise for $1. Rode them all day with no problems but love the new height. What do you think!

• cowboyona426

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:50 AM

Kinda hoky, but it works! FWIW, Coop39 (Coop37 maybe?) here on the forums can make you a set of either 10mm or 15mm risers for $20. If you buy new bars, you should be able to sell the stockers and break nearly even. Also, if those are Rally Pro's in your picture, I'd strongly suggest getting some triple clamp mounts, the RP's are super wimpy without them and will twist on the bar and bend when you crash- trust me, I know from experience! :thumbsup:

• Idaho_Stas

Posted March 15, 2006 - 09:42 PM

I agree with Cowboy. I got a set of 10mm risers from Coop (TT member) for $20. $19 more than the $1 you spent... but worth every dime. Looks much better.

• Wyatt

Posted March 15, 2006 - 09:46 PM

Looks good to me!

• cowboyona426

Posted March 15, 2006 - 10:28 PM

FWIW, the 15mm riser don't work with the 450 triple, I had mine shaved to 10mm and they work fine now.

• DSMotorsport

Posted March 16, 2006 - 07:14 AM

I did the same thing. Stacked 3 10mm ID washers between the stock bar mount and the upper tripple clamp. My washers (rogo brand) measured about 2.8mm thick, so I got ~8.4mm rise. Cost was nothing, as I have a giant cabinet of metric hardware (Drag racing shop).

I guess Im going to have a set of new windham bend protaper bars for sale next week if this feels good. :thumbsup:

• WR450F_RDR

Posted March 16, 2006 - 07:36 AM

The only problem I see is if you are in a hard crash you will most likely do damage to your mount system being that it is not a solid piece, a lot more give in the mount. I also agree get rid of the bar mount on the Ralley pros and save yourself some headaches. Hey if it works for you go for it, but I wouldnt do it. You just spent 7k on a bike, what is $60.00 more. I spend that every 6 months or less replacing the rear tire.

• Troutman

Posted March 16, 2006 - 09:47 AM

Well because i spent near 7k on a bike i need to watch the cash flow. The $20 for the 10mm spacers sounds like a good idea but thats another $19 out the window that I will need for my new rear tires every 6 months as well (amongst other things). The washers fit very snugly and I am not so sure about additional damage resulting from a hard crash, I guess only time will tell. This is a simple fix for the people that may want to try a higher bar height without the investment or just want to hold on to as much cash as possible if it works for them. Just thought I would pass it on.

Ride on :thumbsup:

• sbrown

Posted March 16, 2006 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the simple and inexpensive tryout fix to see if you like it. It looks like it will work fine to me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moochie

Posted March 16, 2006 - 12:11 PM

Hey, Thanks for the suggestion!!

I've been wondering if I would find any advantage to having higher bars, now I can see if I like it without spending a bunch of $ !

• PK

Posted March 16, 2006 - 03:09 PM

Great idea and you can experiment with different heights until you dial it in. Once you hit the lotto, you can kick out the extra dough for the factory stuff. We may have just spent $7000 on a bike but my spousal unit thinks they come all dialed in and ready to go so I can understand the need to save a few bucks when able and I think the mod is strong enough for 99% of the tip overs...

• nysurfsf

Posted April 03, 2006 - 12:26 PM

How can I get in touch with coop for some 10mm risers for the '06 450 f yamaha.

plse email me at tjtuohy@gmail.com

• eazrider

Posted April 03, 2006 - 03:18 PM

I think using the washers to determine the proper height of the bars is a great idea...but don't ride with those washers in place. At some point you WILL snap the longer bolts on impact from a jump, crash, etc. Spend a little cash now and save yourself a helicopter ride.........

• eazrider

Posted April 03, 2006 - 03:18 PM

I think using the washers to determine the proper height of the bars is a great idea...but don't ride with those washers in place. At some point you WILL snap the longer bolts on impact from a jump, crash, etc. Spend a little cash now and save yourself a helicopter ride.........

• nysurfsf

Posted April 04, 2006 - 11:04 AM

anyone help me find coop? coop! you out there?

• cowboyona426

Posted April 05, 2006 - 08:07 PM

nysurf, search for member coop39 or coop37 and shoot him a PM.

• DPW

Posted April 05, 2006 - 08:54 PM

anyone help me find coop? coop! you out there?

His website....http://www.geocities...svintageyz.html

• ovrrdrive

Posted April 06, 2006 - 02:36 AM

I got a set of Tusk adapter/risers from Rocky Mountain ATV for $27 a few weeks ago but I think the sale ended. I may do this mod as well seeing as how I went with a stock YZ bend Longhorn bar...

As far as strngth goes, compare your washers to my risers, and I'd take the strength of your washers any day. However I really don't see strength being an issue for either one personally...

Lookin' good man. :thumbsup:

• ovrrdrive

Posted April 06, 2006 - 02:40 AM

I just looked again and they have the Tusk risers at a great price right now over at RMATV if you can use a 7/8" riser...

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.