Valve clearance

4 replies to this topic
  • kd5qoq

Posted March 14, 2006 - 04:43 AM

I've been told that valve clearance opens up on a new engine then begins to tighten as the valves seat further in and valve stems stretch. Does this sound like the norm?

• CRFThumper

Posted March 14, 2006 - 04:51 AM

Any thing is possible,but from what I have seen they seem to get tight on me.Right from break in IF I have had to do a shim job it was because of tight valves.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted March 14, 2006 - 04:56 AM

I havent really seen valve clearances open, but I would think that is what happens.

• kd5qoq

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:20 AM

So what I'm looking for is trend towards the valve clearance to tighten up?
4strokes: I love em and I hate em!

• clark4131

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:24 AM

Yes, your valves will tighten if all is right in the universe. If they loosen, the balance of nature is inverted within the microcosm of your top end and you should pay close attention to what might be causing this, cam issues, crap in the valve seats, etc...SC

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.