So I bought a new YZ450F '06

12 replies to this topic
  • wpsnowman

Posted March 14, 2006 - 04:05 AM

So I'm finally retiring the Ol 2001 yz426f (shes been good to me) and picking up my new 450 this weekend. Motocrosser mag. rated YZ450f #1 and bike of the year, a friend showed me yesterday an article from a dirt rider magazine that put it last..??? SO whats up? I can't find any other shootouts online, What happened with www.motorcycledaily.com there ussally pretty good and they have nothing on these bikes. Should I have waited? :thumbsup:

• ragdoll-SA

Posted March 14, 2006 - 05:32 AM

hey wpsnowman,

dont worry about the shootouts...ride the bike and let that be the answer...
rode mine for the first time on the weekend ....and all I can say is ...it is absolutely awesome.... trust me , after the first 2 laps u know u have made the right decision ..

• Drfletcherdc

Posted March 14, 2006 - 06:47 AM

Trust me that you made the right decision. I rode a friend's Kawi 450 which was OK, but not near as nice as the Yami. You will be happy.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:53 AM

If you don't like the YZ after riding it, I'm sure there will be someone on here who will gladly scoop it up! I came off an 00 426 and I loved that bike, but after riding 10 minutes on my new 06 I don't regret getting it one bit! If you thought the 426 was good, the 06 will rock your world :thumbsup:

• villiage_idiot

Posted March 14, 2006 - 09:58 AM

From all the dust kicked up by the mags and online shootouts the general idea I get is that ANY 450 made in 2006 is a damn fine bike. It's a matter of tire pressure and how many clicks on the suspension that separates the bikes nowadays, the manufacturers really have thier ducks in a row.

I'm amazed with my 426 and how well it does things, I can't imagine a better tracking(stability, not MX) bike and even the 6 y/o suspension still impresses me. I need to ride an 06, just to see what the hub-bub is all about.

• rebolc

Posted March 14, 2006 - 11:07 AM

From all the dust kicked up by the mags and online shootouts the general idea I get is that ANY 450 made in 2006 is a damn fine bike. It's a matter of tire pressure and how many clicks on the suspension that separates the bikes nowadays, the manufacturers really have thier ducks in a row.

I'm amazed with my 426 and how well it does things, I can't imagine a better tracking(stability, not MX) bike and even the 6 y/o suspension still impresses me. I need to ride an 06, just to see what the hub-bub is all about.

You are not that fast yet, you may hurt yourself. Also would hate to soil that pretty new seat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Beanb1

Posted March 14, 2006 - 11:44 AM

Most if not all of the magazines left the jetting stock on the YZ450F. As a result, it didn't perform as well as it should have in the test. Make sure you have the correct jetting and you will be happy with the bike. It will back fire if the stock pilot jet is in it. Not sure what your elevation is, but if you are around 2500' above sea level, put in a 45 pilot. If you are any higher, I would use a 48 pilot. 45 is stock. Ask your dealer if they changed the jetting before you take it out of the shop. The main jet may need changing at your elevation as well. rough jet #'s 170 at sea level, 165/162 at 5000'.

I came off a 05 Honda and 05 YZ250F. I won't go back to either now as my primary bike and I liked both previous bikes. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• villiage_idiot

Posted March 14, 2006 - 12:36 PM

You are not that fast yet, you may hurt yourself. Also would hate to soil that pretty new seat.

Get outta here with that Austrian man-toy of yours, got any cup-holders on that dirt Cadillac yet?

• rebolc

Posted March 14, 2006 - 02:04 PM

Get outta here with that Austrian man-toy of yours, got any cup-holders on that dirt Cadillac yet?

To be honest, I have been secretly thinking about the 06 YZ 450. Slap some bark busters on the stock protaper bars and maybe a flywheel weight. If only they came with a six speed tranny...

Oh well, I guess I could take the light, battery, and e-start off of Fraulein. All that extra "convenience" seems to be really slowing me down to a mortal pace. Also, sometimes I feel like she is riding me instead of the other way around. I'm not sure if that is a bad thing...

• RAMARION

Posted March 14, 2006 - 02:50 PM

hey wpsnowman,

dont worry about the shootouts...ride the bike and let that be the answer...
rode mine for the first time on the weekend ....and all I can say is ...it is absolutely awesome.... trust me , after the first 2 laps u know u have made the right decision ..

THIS WILL BE THE BEST BIKE YOU"VE EVER RIDDEN!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

• dvn

Posted March 15, 2006 - 03:47 AM

Not sure what your elevation is, but if you are around 2500' above sea level, put in a 45 pilot. If you are any higher, I would use a 48 pilot.

You jet leaner for elevation, not richer :thumbsup:

• RoughR1der

Posted March 15, 2006 - 06:50 AM

...Not sure what your elevation is, but if you are around 2500' above sea level, put in a 45 pilot. If you are any higher, I would use a 48 pilot. 45 is stock. Ask your dealer if they changed the jetting before you take it out of the shop. The main jet may need changing at your elevation as well. rough jet #'s 170 at sea level, 165/162 at 5000'...

i believe 42 is stock, and like stated above you go the other way for elevation for the pilot jet :bonk: but u got the main jetting right :thumbsup:

i havent tried 5k', but i doubt u would need to go to a 162 since they come so lean. someone stated 170/48 worked at his alt of 5k'. i'll find out on sunday :thumbsup:

170/48

• Beanb1

Posted March 15, 2006 - 06:56 AM

I agree, California/Texas riders have been using the 45 Pilot and 70 main at lower elevations. The 48 works great in Colorado and should work with only changing the main jet at lower elevations. Just being cautious with a new owner (not necessarily new rider). Safe would be to go richer to the 48 pilot. Everyone needs to find the jetting for there location.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.