Blown top end???

7 replies to this topic
  • Wascher808

Posted March 13, 2006 - 11:13 PM

I own a 00 yz426. i love the bike, but last fall i blew it up. I was cranking around in a field, and all of the sudden it acted like it had no power, So i left off the gas, and it wanted to stall, i thought it was running out of gas but it didnt. It will start back up even now, but will not stay running and there is alot of scraping. I have not torn in to it yet, i just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem, and what it sounds like, i think its a ring i just wanted to see if it could be more then that. It doesnt have to much compression. I am also thinkin of putting a high compression piston and rings in, i wanted to hear what everyone had so say about that. Please help me thanks!!

• Punisher660

Posted March 14, 2006 - 08:07 AM

If you hear scratching - your probably going to need a bore and cylinder replating :thumbsup:

I wouldn't start it again until after you tear into it.

• Wascher808

Posted March 15, 2006 - 04:54 PM

yea i knew better the first time, but you get a few beers in you, and the story changes.. Any word about high compression.

• 642MX

Posted March 15, 2006 - 04:57 PM

High compression pistons are awesome. I've had one for a couple years and they really improve the off idle snap and midrange pull. I would recommend the Wiseco 13.5:1 piston. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450_rider

Posted March 15, 2006 - 06:41 PM

642MX, what type of fuel are you using for your 13.5:1?

• 642MX

Posted March 15, 2006 - 06:50 PM

642MX, what type of fuel are you using for your 13.5:1?

Citgo 110 octane leaded. It will run with pump gas, but it pings a bit.

• 450_rider

Posted March 15, 2006 - 07:41 PM

I thought you couldn't run leaded gas in these bikes? Would premium with octane booster be enough or go with U4. Its almost time for a new top end and i was thinking Wiseco.

• 642MX

Posted March 16, 2006 - 07:14 PM

I thought you couldn't run leaded gas in these bikes? Would premium with octane booster be enough or go with U4. Its almost time for a new top end and i was thinking Wiseco.

You can run leaded fuels. Lead helps lubricate the valves, and leaded fuels are easier to dial the jetting in with. I've been using that fuel for about 3 years now. U4 is too expensive for me, and I wouldn't recommend the bottles of octane booster, they can cause some problems when used incorrectly. There is a company called Renegade Fuels, they make PRO102 race fuel that is unleaded. You may want to check that out if you don't like leaded fuels.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.