2003 WR450 Dying on trail

8 replies to this topic
  • donny

Posted March 13, 2006 - 07:29 PM

I was out today riding for less than 15 minutes when it died, just went dead as I let off the gas. Could not get it re-started, kicked and cranked...dead. I didn't have time to check for spark as I saw the left fork was leaking from it's seal, so I said Fug it...try tomorrow. I was thinking perhaps the woodruff key could have sheared; but I was not really hammering it, perhaps it was weak and just let-go? Anyone have a similar experience?

• dbailey223

Posted March 13, 2006 - 08:20 PM

Is it getting gas to the carb?

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 13, 2006 - 11:20 PM

$5 bucks says your gas cap isn't venting properly

• jchantzWR400F

Posted March 14, 2006 - 06:46 AM

Have you dumped it hard recently? I had this happen 1 time out. Bike would run, then die for no reason. Then start, run for a while and cut out. Turned out that after a recent getoff, I must have damaged the kill switch. So, I cut the wire and taped both ends off. Bike ran like normal the rest of the day.

Doesn't sound exactly like what you have, but, it's an easy place to start.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • odonnks

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:33 AM

I've done the gas cap not venting properly my self. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 14, 2006 - 04:08 PM

I've done the gas cap not venting properly my self. :thumbsup: :bonk:

Its a pain in the ass isn't it. I spent 2 months trying to troubleshoot the bike. I originally thought the ignition was getting hot and cutting out. Then one day I had the bike on the stand and I noticed the part of the hose that with the arrow that said "tank" the arrow was pointed up not down. Turned that around and haven't had a problem since :thumbsup:

• WR450F_RDR

Posted March 14, 2006 - 05:01 PM

check the basics before you assume the worst. My 03 has thousands on miles on it without any woodruff key issues and it hasnt been touched by anyone. check to make sure your getting fuel and spark first. The only time that happened to me is when I forgot to turn on the gas. :thumbsup:

• Numskull

Posted March 14, 2006 - 05:32 PM

Its a pain in the ass isn't it. I spent 2 months trying to troubleshoot the bike. I originally thought the ignition was getting hot and cutting out. Then one day I had the bike on the stand and I noticed the part of the hose that with the arrow that said "tank" the arrow was pointed up not down. Turned that around and haven't had a problem since :thumbsup:

:bonk:

Me and my brother were gonna go for a ride the other day, but his quad wouldn't start, he said it was flooded and fouled the plug.(I told him that 4 strokes dont foul plugs) After spending an hour changing a plug that was hard to get to cause he cant pull his front fenders off, then it barely running, he realized it was just out of gas :thumbsup:

• Numskull

Posted March 14, 2006 - 05:46 PM

back to the question,

Yes the 2003 models have a woodruff key problem. They have sent out a fix for the problem. If you do a search on it, you will become informed on that issue. even if thats not the problem right now, you might consider doing the fix, so it wont be a problem.

but as far as your bike dieing on the trail from not having your petcock on, and then refusing to start again, could be a host of problems that you need to trouble shoot and eliminate possibilities.

Two things to check are spark and fuel. At the bottom of the carb there is a big drain plug. Unscrew it and turn your gas on, if gas starts pouring out, your getting gas. But could potentially still have a plugged jet.

Next check for spark. If your getting gas and spark and the bike still dont fire, you will have to do some in depth trouble shooting.

good luck and dont forget to let us no what you found out :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.