Check those spokes!

15 replies to this topic
  • NYMXer

Posted March 13, 2006 - 03:19 PM

I just checked mine and all were loose. This is after a bout 3 hours on the bike. Tighten them and hope they're seated in for good. :thumbsup:

• 642MX

Posted March 13, 2006 - 03:50 PM

You should really check them before every ride. I've had a couple work loose on wheel sets that where a couple years old.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted March 13, 2006 - 05:04 PM

I just checked mine and all were loose. This is after a bout 3 hours on the bike. Tighten them and hope they're seated in for good. :thumbsup:

Just about all of them were loose on my 06 450 also. Lucky I remember to check them, it's not something that I normally think about.

• Matt96xr6

Posted March 13, 2006 - 06:42 PM

You will have to check them for the first 3 rides on the bike. Especially the fronts on the YZs.

After that, they usually stay seated for a while.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 13, 2006 - 09:31 PM

What is the tightening pattern- every 3rd spoke isn't it?

• NYMXer

Posted March 14, 2006 - 05:45 AM

That's what I did. I must have lost count because on the front wheel one time I came back to where I started after 1 rotation.
BTW, the factory spoke wrench worked fine. :thumbsup:

• CRFThumper

Posted March 14, 2006 - 05:56 AM

It's really every 4th spoke.Or do one count three do the next one.That way you will be doing a right and then a left then a right and so on. :ride:on a side note:I'm gold!!!!wahoo

• Jaycycle

Posted March 15, 2006 - 03:47 PM

I'm confused, what do you mean by tightening pattern? On my usual check up I just take a wrench to each spoke and tighten them up. :thumbsup: Excuse my noobieness I'm a youngling.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jaycycle

Posted March 15, 2006 - 03:51 PM

Well, now that I reread that I assume that you only tighten every third spoke? If so why would that be, why not just tighten all?

• CRFThumper

Posted March 15, 2006 - 04:11 PM

Well, now that I reread that I assume that you only tighten every third spoke? If so why would that be, why not just tighten all?

If you do it like above you are tighten first the right side then the left side!
Helps to keep everything centered.

• beezer

Posted March 15, 2006 - 04:37 PM

There isn't any tightening pattern.

Do a quarter turn on each and keep going around the wheel until they all tight.

Most of you can't count anyway.

• Nalgene

Posted March 15, 2006 - 04:53 PM

The Correct method preached by all mechanics is start at a spoke near the rim lock and go (either direction of that spoke) every 3rd spoke to tighten. After 3 rotations of the tire you should ( if done correctly ) end up at the rim lock spoke you started at. Also a torque wrench is a great tool to take the guessing out of it. I just picked up a excel torque wrench for like $100, and it came with 5 heads and a spline drive head. $100 investment instead of having to buy new wheels later down the line. I think 45lb is the general agreement on the torque, but I could be quoting the article I read wrong.

• beezer

Posted March 15, 2006 - 06:00 PM

A torque wrench might work on a new wheel. Once you get the bike dirty it won't

Don't make a simple job complex. Crack a beer, sit on a milk crate and just tighten the things.

• Nalgene

Posted March 16, 2006 - 05:47 AM

Wash bike after every ride :thumbsup:

• ditchound

Posted March 16, 2006 - 01:48 PM

Do you mean 45 lb/ft or 45 lb/inch? I usually do 4 or 5 lb/ft which is 48-60 lb/inch.

• Nalgene

Posted March 17, 2006 - 03:28 AM

maybe its inches.. to early in the morning to look.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.