Checking Oil on an 06....(search done)

29 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted March 14, 2006 - 04:50 PM

That is what it is sounding like to me Grey also...........There should be no pressure causing oil to seep out of the dip stick hole when the bike is turned off....period :thumbsup:

• Wyatt

Posted March 14, 2006 - 06:04 PM

Did you have this problem before you routed the house to the airbox? Could you have this hose kinked and it is not letting flow come from the engine? Could this cause internal pressure to build in the engine causing this problem?

Just looking for a possible cause.

• WheelsUp

Posted March 14, 2006 - 06:05 PM

So what did they do on the '06.... is the reservoir now a part of the left engine case, or is it still in the frame but it drains through the case? :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2006 - 06:34 PM

The reservoir is in a cast in volume in front of the actual crankcase area, but inside the engine cases. The dipstick drops into this "tank" right in front of the cylinder. The drain plug on the left drains the tank, the one on the right, the sump. Otherwise, it's still a dry sump, just like last year.

• WheelsUp

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:28 PM

:thumbsup:
Hmm....
Wonder if the engines will swap?
Not 100% sure I'm liking the idea, but not 100% sure I don't like it either.
With the skidplate protecting it, it eliminates two hoses, which is good.
What I'm not sure about is the reduction in capacity. I like 3 quarts being just enough for 2 oil changes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 14, 2006 - 09:48 PM

Re: Checking Oil on an 06....(search done)

Did you have this problem before you routed the house to the airbox? Could you have this hose kinked and it is not letting flow come from the engine? Could this cause internal pressure to build in the engine causing this problem?

Just looking for a possible cause.

Yes it did, but I doubled checked that just too see.

Tell me you are not checking the oil with the engine running, please.

I am not the sharpest marble in the pack, but no, I wasnt checking it with the engine running.

That is what it is sounding like to me Grey also...........There should be no pressure causing oil to seep out of the dip stick hole when the bike is turned off....period

That was the exact cause of my concern.

Here is what I found out. The tech who does most of the oil changes on the race bikes said that he has had a few that do what mine does, burp oil out of the dipstick hole, almost like there was an air bubble or something forcing it out. He said that if you ride the bike, like a lap or two, then let it idle for the 3 or more minutes, then check the oil it wouldnt happen. So sure enough, I went down to my shop, irratated my nieghbors by running a few hot laps around the block, put the bike on the stand, let it idle for 3-4 minutes, shut it off, took off the fill cap, checked the oil, and it didnt come oozing out. It worked. He said he didnt know for sure why some of the bikes did that, but that this is "the oddest oil system I have ever seen". At least now I know it wasnt just me and that nothing serious is wrong with my bike. So if this happens to you, trying running it hard briefly before the 3 minute idle to check your oil. Hope this helps and thanks to all you for your help/intrest

• SureBlue

Posted March 14, 2006 - 10:00 PM

Thanks again to those of you that have given me suggestions, sorry to those of you that this is pissing off. Its just a $7000.00 bike, I really dont want to ruin it because something simple is wrong. :thumbsup:

BnB, I was not pissed at you, some Mr.Knowitalls who found everything sooo easy got me on the wrong foot, sorry about that.
Good to hear the problem is solved.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 14, 2006 - 10:52 PM

Cool man, I just didnt want to irritate anyone. All is well that ends well. Thanks agian for your help. :thumbsup:

• Wyatt

Posted March 15, 2006 - 05:16 AM

Now I'm a knowitall that got YOU off on the wrong foot because I said an oil change was easy??????

Have a backbone dude

• SureBlue

Posted March 15, 2006 - 08:43 AM

Have a backbone dude

Thank you dude, but keep it, I'll stick to mine.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.