Checking Oil on an 06....(search done)

29 replies to this topic
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 12, 2006 - 11:02 PM

When I do an oil change and check my oil following the manuals instructions of letting the bike idle for 3 minutes, then check dipstick, the oil flows out of the dipstick hole after a few seconds. I take out the dipstick, put it back in up to the threads, and check it. Then when I go to put the dipstick back in, oil is overflowing out of the dipstick hole. Is this normal. It seems to make it hard to check the oil level. Am I doing something really stupid(wouldnt be the first time)? Any help would be appreciated.

• Bosco83

Posted March 12, 2006 - 11:12 PM

Hmm doesn't sound normal to me. This is my first WR450 but every time I check my oil it has never done anything like that. I changed it today and put in about 1.3 quarts of oil an it was right at the full line but still never came flowing out. Maybe you should change your oil and see what happens. I am no expert by the way but that is what I would do.

Brian

• WheelsUp

Posted March 12, 2006 - 11:12 PM

Not positive on the '06.... double check the manual, but on the '05 and older, you needed to run the bike at idle for 3 minutes, then shut it down and let it sit for a few minutes prior to checking.

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2006 - 11:33 PM

You should have drained oil from two separate locations. Sounds like you missed one. You should also be checking the level with the engine off.

• N_Boyd

Posted March 13, 2006 - 10:12 AM

I had that same problem the other day, but realized that when I shut the motor off the oil needs time to drain from the top end down to the cases, so try starting it, then let it sit for a few mins, before checking to give it time to drain. It worked for me :thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted March 13, 2006 - 12:02 PM

On a related topic, I need to do my first oil change today and I forgot my manual at home... which side do I need to drain first, the shifter side or the brake side? I think the manual said the shifter side first, but I can't remember.

• SureBlue

Posted March 13, 2006 - 12:20 PM

On a related topic, I need to do my first oil change today and I forgot my manual at home... which side do I need to drain first, the shifter side or the brake side? I think the manual said the shifter side first, but I can't remember.

First the shifter side, then the brake side.

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted March 13, 2006 - 01:05 PM

Don't give it any throttle before you shut it down, this is the dired=ct cause of oil coming out of the hole. You will find if you start and let idle for three minutes and shut down with no throttle you can check your oil immediatly.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 13, 2006 - 04:43 PM

I have drained both drains, ran at idle for 3 minutes, no throttle, shut the engine down, put the bike on a level stand, checked the dipstick, and oil comes out the dipstick hole while I am inspecting it. I have changed the oil on this bike like 4-5 times already, happens everytime. How long can I let it sit after the idleing before I will not get an accurate reading? I am sure I am getting the proper amount in there, cause the manual says like 1.1 quarts for a full service change. It just seems wierd to me. No one else is having this happen? Also I have seen guys ask about their oil having flakes in it, mine doesnt have flakes so to speak, but it does look metallic when I drian it. Like a metallic auto paint, no big specs, just metallic looking. Is that pretty normal. I just dont remember my WR's oil looking like that. Thanks for your help and suggestions so far, I really appreciate it.

• SureBlue

Posted March 13, 2006 - 06:49 PM

I have drained both drains, ran at idle for 3 minutes, no throttle, shut the engine down, put the bike on a level stand, checked the dipstick, and oil comes out the dipstick hole while I am inspecting it. I have changed the oil on this bike like 4-5 times already, happens everytime. How long can I let it sit after the idleing before I will not get an accurate reading? I am sure I am getting the proper amount in there, cause the manual says like 1.1 quarts for a full service change. It just seems wierd to me. No one else is having this happen? Also I have seen guys ask about their oil having flakes in it, mine doesnt have flakes so to speak, but it does look metallic when I drian it. Like a metallic auto paint, no big specs, just metallic looking. Is that pretty normal. I just dont remember my WR's oil looking like that. Thanks for your help and suggestions so far, I really appreciate it.

Sounds like you do it OK. Don't know where the pressure comes from, a dented breather tube maybe?
Don't let it sit, you can check the dipstick right away. Many riders make problems for themselves by letting it sit too long and then end up adding oil as some of the oil has already flown into the crankcase.
I earlier reported the same, no flakes here. It looks metallic and that is normal, comes from the clutch. Maybe you used another oil or the clutch plates were different in your WR.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted March 13, 2006 - 09:29 PM

Another question, how much oil do I need to add after draining and changing the filter? Also, if anyone could give me the torque specs for the steering head nut and the top triple clamp pinch bolts I would appreciate it.

• WheelsUp

Posted March 13, 2006 - 10:46 PM

It's all in the owner's manual that the dealer SHOULD have given you when you bought the bike.
If you didn't get it, go back and demand it. It should be a full 8-1/2x11 and about 1/2 inch thick covering damned near everything you need to know to maintain and overhaul your bike.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 14, 2006 - 02:58 AM

On the 05 and older bikes if the metal frame screen was clogged you would get an overflow up at the oil level dip stick port in the frame. The 06 engine no longer carries it's oil in the frame but there must be a return screen that is clogged in oil circuit on the return from the cams. :thumbsup:

• Wyatt

Posted March 14, 2006 - 05:47 AM

You guys are making this WWAAAAAAYYY too complicated. Just drain the oil from both locations. It doesn't matter which one first. Loosen the the dipstick when you drain the shifter side or it will airlock and not all of the oil will drain.

Remove your filter and clean (stainless) or replace. Next put your drain bolts in, tighten the dipstick, put a quart of oil in, and ride the piss out of it for 4 -5 hrs, and the repeat all of the above steps.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:17 AM

Just drain the oil from both locations. It doesn't matter which one first. Loosen the the dipstick when you drain the shifter side or it will airlock and not all of the oil will drain.

Remove your filter and clean (stainless) or replace. Next put your drain bolts in, tighten the dipstick, put a quart of oil in, and ride the piss out of it for 4 -5 hrs, and the repeat all of the above steps.

That is what I have been doing. :thumbsup: I was just wondering why the oil bubbles out when I check it. It just doesnt seem right to me. It has never happened on any other bike I have done. :thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:45 AM

WheelsUp, I got a manual with my bike, but I left it at home 8 hours away... doh! Is there a strainer that needs to be cleaned? I saw one mentioned in the manual, but I can't remember where it said it was at.

• jason07

Posted March 14, 2006 - 09:16 AM

You guys are making this WWAAAAAAYYY too complicated. Just drain the oil from both locations. It doesn't matter which one first. Loosen the the dipstick when you drain the shifter side or it will airlock and not all of the oil will drain.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I don't remember reading in the manual to drain the oil on a certain side first. I just remember is saying that there were 3 drain plugs so I just drained the oil from all the plugs, replaced the filter and put just a little over a quart of oil in the bike. Pretty easy to me!

• SureBlue

Posted March 14, 2006 - 02:50 PM

That is exactly what I was thinking. I don't remember reading in the manual to drain the oil on a certain side first. I just remember is saying that there were 3 drain plugs so I just drained the oil from all the plugs, replaced the filter and put just a little over a quart of oil in the bike. Pretty easy to me!

Easy and easy. That was not the issue.
Drain the both sides simultaneously - no problem. But IF you drain one side at a time you need to start from the reservoir side - left. If you drain the crank side - right - first, and screw the drain plug on, and then proceed with the left side, you will have oil flowing from the reservoir to the crank before you get the reservoir drained, since you just earlier warmed up the bike before oilchange (all oil sits in the reservoir). Rocket science.
Talking about making it complicated. It cannot be that if you fully drain from two locations simultaneously and fill it up with one liter. Why is there a dipstick anyway? For people who do not know how much oil they two minutes earlier poured in.
Too many stupid oil threads here. Bottom line was IF YOU drain one per time, START with the shifter side. Or do what F you want, drain the crankcase, wait for a day and drain the reservoir, bet there is nothing coming out from the reservoir. Fill it with the liter and you have 50 % too much oil there, then it blows out from the breather tube and we have a dumbass thread asking &%$#@! :thumbsup: again.
RTFM.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 14, 2006 - 04:19 PM

Yeah, I am not having problems following directions. I am confused as to why when I do follow the directions, the damn oil comes out of the friggen dipstik hole. I even tried taking out the "overfull bolt" and nothing came out there. I have pressure I know because I loosened that bolt and oil oozed out. I have had very little oil come out my breather tube, its in the air box and would be very obvious. I dont rev the bike, just idle. I did it today, fresh oil change, 3 minute idle, remove the oil fill cap, take the dipstik out, oil flows right out the friggin whole. :thumbsup: :bonk: :confused: :confused: :cry: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :p :moon: :bonk: I know I have the right amount of oil, thats not my dilema. I am just wondering if something else is wrong that is making this happen. :thumbsup: I am going down to the dealership right now to see if they have had this problem on any of their race bikes. Thanks again to those of you that have given me suggestions, sorry to those of you that this is pissing off. Its just a $7000.00 bike, I really dont want to ruin it because something simple is wrong. :bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2006 - 04:34 PM

Tell me you are not checking the oil with the engine running, please.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.