Rim width dangers??

1 reply to this topic
  • Dune7

Posted March 12, 2006 - 10:48 PM

What if any dangers does one run when you fit a tire with a recomended rim with of say 3" onto a 2.15" rim. I see Dunlop sites all give recomended rim widths and most of the other tyre manufacturers don't seem to give a hoot! Is there an danger or does it just alter the bike handling? If so what would the compromise be If I mouted a 3" recomendation onto a 2.15" rim??

..........who said riding bikes was simple.... :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sorenlaf

Posted March 13, 2006 - 10:51 AM

What if any dangers does one run when you fit a tire with a recomended rim with of say 3" onto a 2.15" rim. I see Dunlop sites all give recomended rim widths and most of the other tyre manufacturers don't seem to give a hoot! Is there an danger or does it just alter the bike handling? If so what would the compromise be If I mouted a 3" recomendation onto a 2.15" rim??

..........who said riding bikes was simple.... :thumbsup:

You'll deform the tire away from its design profile.

I haven't riden it yet (since I got the bike in boxes), but my XR600R came with motard wheels. 2.5" wide front with a 120/70/17 squeeeeeezed onto it. A 120/70/17 should have a 3.5" wide rim.

From the way the tire looks, I think that leaned over, I'll be reducing (instead of increasing) the area of the contact patch.

Harder to say with a knobby tire, but offhand, I'd expect you'd have more separation between the knobs. Might be good in mud, but then so is a soft terrain tire (and that would have stiffer knobs too boot).

--Soren

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.