greasy pig

10 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 05, 2001 - 07:57 AM

I will be taking the WR apart to grease all the fittings before it first ride. At this point I am planning on using LPS Thermaplex Aqua grease. I have used this in many wet industrial aplications and it works great. I haven't used it on any needle bearings or small aplications like such. Does it matter what grease to use?

• Scott_F

Posted January 05, 2001 - 08:02 AM

Waterproof grease would suffice, but you might consider buying a small tub of moly grease for a few bucks.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted January 05, 2001 - 08:42 AM

I used the Honda moly paste (per Clark's recommendation) for the linkage and other spots that call for moly as shown in the manual.

Brian

• Scott_F

Posted January 05, 2001 - 08:50 AM

I found that just using moly paste can dry out too easily, and moly grease is the best. YMMV.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 05, 2001 - 09:53 AM

this may be a dumb question, but what does moly stand for? Who makes it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Spudman_*

Posted January 05, 2001 - 01:45 PM

Hmmmm, let me see it I can spell it right. Molybdenum???

• Michael

Posted January 05, 2001 - 03:07 PM

More than just molybdenum - which is a metallic elememnt which is alloyed with iron to make cutting tools and other stuff (like motorcyle frames) - it stands for Molybdenum Sulfide (or molybdenite). This is a graphite like compound that increases load capacity of grease.

• Scott_F

Posted January 05, 2001 - 08:58 PM

Correctomundo. I always thought it was molybdenum disulfide.

• Michael

Posted January 05, 2001 - 09:28 PM

I stand corrected.....my brain can't handle the strain anymore. I wrote disulfide and then switched to sulfide several times. For the life of me I couldn't remember. But a quick check of old books (long time on the shelf) and there is the answer - Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2).

Goes to prove that there are no dumb questions - just dumb answers!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 06, 2001 - 04:17 PM

Mobil 28 synthetic aviation grease!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 08, 2001 - 03:12 AM

Thanks for the input.
I will give molybendumover a try.
Is it waterproof?

Seriously, thanks guy's.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.