Standing while street riding??

29 replies to this topic
  • needsprayer

Posted March 18, 2006 - 05:07 AM

I do this on empty back roads for long stretches and whenever I meet Harley riders so I can look down on them. :thumbsup:

• thouk

Posted March 18, 2006 - 05:09 AM

Lotsofbikes,
When I got my ticket for riding while standing, it was two cops on bikes that gave me the ticket. I did not get out of it either. Some states have different laws. Check yours before you do it again. Tony

• CrackiN

Posted March 18, 2006 - 07:14 AM

[quote name='ewbish']Standing lowers the center of gravity of the rider/bike combined. It transfers the weight of the rider from the seat to the pegs and from suspended to unsprung weight
The only way to transfer your weight from sprung to unsprung weight is to stand on the axle nuts....Unless your rear pegs are attached to the swing arm like mine....

• bz919

Posted March 22, 2006 - 02:59 AM

Interesting thread.

Here's a tangential question:

Are you guys able to stand comfortable with the stock bars, or are you using something else? Anyone using a riser under their bar clamps?

I still have the stock ones, and when I stand, the grips are too low for me to stand comfortably. (I'm 5'9") I'm wondering if there is a solution...

Many thanks.

• MindBlower

Posted March 22, 2006 - 06:25 AM

Interesting thread.

Here's a tangential question:

Are you guys able to stand comfortable with the stock bars, or are you using something else? Anyone using a riser under their bar clamps?

I still have the stock ones, and when I stand, the grips are too low for me to stand comfortably. (I'm 5'9") I'm wondering if there is a solution...

Many thanks.

I've been lookng at the higher rise CR Renthals on my 350 for the past few days. Several inches taller. I like the stockers for seated position though, just right.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ewbish

Posted March 22, 2006 - 08:50 AM

[quote name='CrackiN'][quote name='ewbish']Standing lowers the center of gravity of the rider/bike combined. It transfers the weight of the rider from the seat to the pegs and from suspended to unsprung weight
The only way to transfer your weight from sprung to unsprung weight is to stand on the axle nuts....Unless your rear pegs are attached to the swing arm like mine....[/QUOTE]

Uhhhh, did you read my next post? That was a joke, complete utter BS meant as comedy. I can't believe you answered it?

• bz919

Posted March 22, 2006 - 04:21 PM

I've been lookng at the higher rise CR Renthals on my 350 for the past few days. Several inches taller. I like the stockers for seated position though, just right.

Are the stock cables long enough?

• InternalCombustion

Posted March 22, 2006 - 04:31 PM

[begin friendly jab] It's safer to drive a car too :bonk: [end friendly jab]

:thumbsup: safer to be sitting in your bathroom... :thumbsup:

• dukeryder

Posted March 22, 2006 - 11:44 PM

my dad was pulled over by the state cops on my xr650L after standing up for about 2 minutes, he got out of getting a ticket because of his iraqi freedom, and active military status, cops around here hate bikes, I guess thats just it :bonk:

At first I thought that was complete BS, but then I saw your location, only one solution MOVE; I did and have never had a problem with the law yet. F'in B.S. up there I tell ya.

only reason i ever stand up is if a bump knocks me off the seat... i then realize it is to ruff to sit down. otther then that i always sit, you get way better traction in the dirt when sitting compared to standing. if you want some attention when you are riding just stand the bike up on the rear wheel.

Dude, if you hit a bump hard enough and DON'T STAND UP, you can get bounced right off the bike and crash, not a big problem with Dual Sports but other bikes with less suspension you really need to get your ass of the seat. Weighting the pegs and gettin' your ass of the seat can give you a little more control over ROUGH terrain.

Standing up when comming to an intersection also gives you a bit more visibility. This'll get your head up in the same area as a pedestrain and in the line of site of a SUV driver :thumbsup: ; good thing is to slow down 10mph before an intersection, flip on the highbeam, and stand up for a couple secs.

Only 1 place I've been with stupider cops than Mass is Jersey :thumbsup:

• rkuckkahn

Posted March 23, 2006 - 11:16 AM

This thread reminds me of some physics study group in college so I intend to put an end to it with my "final answer" "yes it's my final answer" then I'm gonna go ride'n'.

If you remember your physics..........you bunch of overeducated gear-heads (just kidding)................point of contact of the weight and distance from the balance point is critical :confused: . Soooooooo if your rear-end is in contact and actually ATTACHED (ooch I wonder what that would look like, or feel like) to the seat or if ONLY your feet are in contact with the pegs it will change the center of gravity. But then we can all agree with that, right? But now reposition the location of the weight :thumbsup: read on.

Take the old trick using two forks stuck in a cork balancing on the edge (of something). Every time you reposition the forks the stability of the system changes.

Anyway try this...........sitting, with your rear end "attached" to the seat have someone tip the bike. A couple inches of tip and you fall over :thumbsup: , don't try this at home these experiments are for professionals only. Now stand on the pegs and have someone try to tip the bike....(while you counter-balance on the pegs) :bonk: and you'll see the bike will be able to tip a little farther but not very much unless you weigh 400 pounds and are as athletic as ........some real athletic professional sports guy, fill in the blank, then you could maybe lay it on it's side almost touching the ground.

Fact is there's really not a great deal of difference that's why the big bike racers stay low, lean without hitting their knee, but remain on the seat ( I suppose it's more aerodynamic too, daah). There's not enough change in stability, or friction with the tire to get too excited about rider position or standing on the pegs. Could you imagine 1000 cc big bike crotch rockets and everyone was standing on the pegs....hmmm. :confused:

But get your rear-end below the pegs then you got something. I think I'll put the passenger pegs under there and tour with the wife. I'd worry more about dropping off the accelerator and flying over the front of the bike than any side to side balance.

Come to think of it when you add in all the dynamics of the stearing, engine movement, rider weight, location of weight and if it is fixed securely to the bike (or not) you can't solve this problem.

NEVER.......MIND!!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.