pulled the trigger!!

15 replies to this topic
  • xcape

Posted March 12, 2006 - 12:47 PM

Well I did it, proud owner of a '06 yzf450 SE. I decided on this bike based on info I have read in TT over 6 months. Thanx!

It was a tough decision liked the kxf but I never hear many complaints on this forum..............Cant wait to ride it, been riding a '04 honda crf450 and '04 ktm sx450 last year. I hope my bike feels lighter.

Dont like yellow can I get black plastic for it?

Having never bought a new dirt bike before what should I do before riding it?

I am 6'3" 200lbs will stock suspension be ok ? I'm not too agressive on the track (just go for fun).

I'll warm it up ride it hard like I have heard but keep the revs down for a few rides. Change the oil after first ride.

I do not want to spend money on stuff I dont need but is there anything I have to get?

• flintlock28

Posted March 12, 2006 - 01:14 PM

I have a 2004 Yz 450f that I love.....

I would run the bike for some time before changing anything, so that you get acclimated to it. If the front end tends to wash out on you, than you might consider replacing the front tire with a Dunlop 756. I think Yamaha is still supplying the bikes with the 739, and that tire is pretty good on hardpack, but not really good on anything else. It's pretty common for guys to change the front to a 756.

Don't run the stock chain more than about 10 hours....it's a cheap piece of junk that will stretch, stretch and stretch, and if you go more than about 10 hours, it will start rounding the sprocket teeth. Than you will be replacing the sprockets and chain together. It's better to keep an eye on it as it WILL stretch, and when you get to about 10 hours, replace the chain with a good quality one: If you ride strictly Motocross tracks, than you can go with a non-O ring chain, if your going to ride both trails and MX tracks than I would go with an "o" ring chain; I like the Regina ORN. Just don't go over 10 hours on that stock chain, or you'll be putting out more money for both sprockets and a chain.

Get a Zip-Ty or another manufacturer Fuel screw..this will make it real easy to adjust the carb. for when the altitude, temperature and humidity change to give you maximum throttle crispness and response.

just get as much seat time as you can before making any real changes.

Oh, by the way...you just got an awesome bike...and us old geezers (I'm 41), like the yellow color, it reminds us of the "old days" when Yami's were yellow.

• Kevin117

Posted March 12, 2006 - 01:20 PM

I agree, about riding the bike stock for awhile. But you may want to consider doing something with the positioning of the handlebars. I also am 6ft 3in. Yamahas are known for tailoring to smaller riders. I put the Windham bend protapers on mine, and I called Billet Racing Performance (BRP) and got some taller bar mounts. Also check out seat foam from ceet, you can just buy the foam and put your stock base and cover back on. It is a stretch on the cover but with some heat it will work.

• xcape

Posted March 12, 2006 - 01:35 PM

Oh, by the way...you just got an awesome bike...and us old geezers (I'm 41), like the yellow color, it reminds us of the "old days" when Yami's were yellow.

LOL....I'll be 41 in 2 months. I am past the flashy sticker/color phase I really want an all black bike

• tmckeown

Posted March 12, 2006 - 02:04 PM

I'll be 41 next month :thumbsup:

Timo Mc

• mikus89

Posted March 12, 2006 - 02:48 PM

Congrats on your new bike! I just bought one myself and love it even though I've only ridden it once. I weigh 185lbs and am reasonably aggressive on the track. This is the first stock bike I've ridden that I didn't think the suspension was too soft. Other than the chain stretching like a rubber band and some seriously lean stock jetting, I have no complaints. I'd get a 48 pilot jet if you ride anywhere near sea level.
I'm 42 and agree that the yellow brings back fond memories...

Enjoy your scoot! :thumbsup:

Mike

• flintlock28

Posted March 12, 2006 - 05:47 PM

Black body plastics..coming up.

http://www.motosport...|87492&id=84141

:thumbsup:

• xcape

Posted March 12, 2006 - 07:04 PM

Congrats on your new bike! I just bought one myself and love it even though I've only ridden it once. I weigh 185lbs and am reasonably aggressive on the track. This is the first stock bike I've ridden that I didn't think the suspension was too soft. Other than the chain stretching like a rubber band and some seriously lean stock jetting, I have no complaints. I'd get a 48 pilot jet if you ride anywhere near sea level.
I'm 42 and agree that the yellow brings back fond memories...

Enjoy your scoot! :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike how would you compare it to your crf ? I had quite a bit of saddle time on one last year.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xcape

Posted March 12, 2006 - 07:07 PM

Don't run the stock chain more than about 10 hours....it's a cheap piece of junk that will stretch, stretch and stretch, and if you go more than about 10 hours, it will start rounding the sprocket teeth. Than you will be replacing the sprockets and chain together. It's better to keep an eye on it as it WILL stretch, and when you get to about 10 hours, replace the chain with a good quality one: If you ride strictly Motocross tracks, than you can go with a non-O ring chain, if your going to ride both trails and MX tracks than I would go with an "o" ring chain; I like the Regina ORN. Just don't go over 10 hours on that stock chain, or you'll be putting out more money for both sprockets and a chain

That explains what happened to my buddies new yz250f last year I noticed some serious hooking on his spocket and we had to adjust almost every ride. hes out some bucks I guess. Thanx for the suggestions.

• flintlock28

Posted March 12, 2006 - 07:11 PM

Yep, everyone says the same thing.....the stock chain SUCKS!

I think the manufacturers realize that the vast majority of MX guys will install their own favorite brand of chain anyway, so the beancounters in the accounting department say "hey we can save a few bucks with an el-cheapo chain" No matter how meticulous the care, that stock chain will stretch and stretch......get rid of it before the 10 hour mark, or you'll be buying two new sprockets and a chain.
Don

• techmc

Posted March 12, 2006 - 08:28 PM

Sorry Flint, maybe the 03/04 chain sucked, but the 06 is a DID HD chain per DID specifications. I have a 06 YZ250 with the same chain on it as the 06 450, and I got almost 21 hours on that chain,(taken off cleaned in tank and reoiled) after every other race. At that time I noticed slight hooking from front sprocket, and noooo wear on the rear sprocket at all. I reorder a front stock 14t and the Stock "suck" chain again. I took off the old chain several times and measured pin length distance per the manual and after all that riding ,it had flatten out somewhat from the chain guide, but was still within specs. :bonk: I only ordered a new one because of the front sprocket. If the "bean counters" were involved in it, I think they did a good job of chain selection. :thumbsup: The damn bikes used to have an RK chain...Piece of S..... on my 03 YZ450. Got 1 ride out of it before strecthing too far to adjust. DID chains are 200% better than the RK's of past years. Maybe you didn't get a DID chain on your new bike, RK's will stretch like you describe, but DID chains are head and shoulders over them. Bikes are expensive enough to keep up,don't spend your hard earned money when its not needed. :thumbsup:

• Upright

Posted March 13, 2006 - 12:48 PM

I'm 15, and "experienced", but I cannot decide on if the 450 or 250 will be better for me. I have ridden a friends 250 for a several hours and like the light nimble feel over the WR. I the 450 just as nimble as the 250, because I need the most menueverable of the two ( I'm on very tight tracks).

• Sutton704

Posted March 13, 2006 - 12:52 PM

I dont know about the 06 chain, but i bought my 04 before i knew about this site. Rode with it for at least 30 hours adjusting it like crazy. One day it slipped off the rear sprocket, hit the shift shaft and cracked the case. Wasnt the greatest day of my life. If its like the old ones, replace your new one, but like i said, I'm not sure how they are.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted March 13, 2006 - 12:52 PM

XCape,

Motocross Action noted that the new '06 YZ450F feels lighter than a 250F. Yes.

• xcape

Posted March 15, 2006 - 06:31 AM

I picked it up yesterday!! The yellow kinda grows on you for sure. The sales guy gave me a run down on the bike....nothing new exept he said the new bike has special break in oil and should be ridden for ten hours before changing LOL!!! I wont be doing that but I feel sorry for the average guy who doesent realy know much about bikes.

They charged me $ 18.95 for an oil filter??? &%$#@!! Is the stainless option the way to go? Is there an alternate brand of filter?

• Reyndogg

Posted March 15, 2006 - 07:40 AM

Wow 10 hour break in oil :thumbsup: I changed mine after 1.9 hours - one ride. Ive got 27.4 hrs on my 06 450 and she's already had seven oil changes and oil/air filter cleanings, fresh fork oil once too.

Definitely, IMO, get a Scotts oil filter! Just in the seven oil changes I've done on my bike i've already paid for the Scotts in 10.00 paper filters that dont work as well.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.